Value for Salvage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Value for Salvage

BigBL87
11-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Mods/Admins - Didn't know where to put this, feel free to move it to the proper area.

Ok, so, I posted in a thread below about my car overheating consistently. Mechanic thought he found the problem and fixed it. 3rd time I drive it starts acting up again, I think I'm done with it.

So, my question...

What route should do you guys think I should go trying to get the most money for it? There's very little physical damage (right front quarter panel is dented in a bit such that the door won't open, and some clear coat peeling on the spoiler). My back left window needs a new motor, and there's the overheating issue, that's it.

I don't have the ability to part it out, just don't have the time or the storage space. I know most junked cars get maybe $300 if you're lucky, which I imagine I can easily get just selling the wheels for instance but again don't have the ability to part it. I'd like to get at least $1000 for it as it's worth $2200 even in "fair" shape, but don't know if there's a way to do that.

Thanks in advance guys.

03Sleepr
11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
your not going to get $1000 for salvage, you can try posting on your local CL.

AaronGTR
11-05-2011, 10:20 AM
With those issues, I wouldn't even call it fair shape. Not for a 12 year old car. I would try posting it on CL. Ask for maybe $1200... people will usually come look at it then make you a lower offer, so ask a little more than what you actually want. I sold my '97 grand prix on craigslist that way. It actually had no mechanical issues at all, just a lot of miles and lots of rust on the chassis. Asked $1200 for it and sold it for $900 the day after I posted the add to the first person who came to look at it. I had about 10 responses to the ad the first day though.