DIY Pulling the trans [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Pulling the trans

slograndam
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
What would you guys recommend? Pulling the motor with the trans out? dropping the subframe and dropping it? I'm doing it myself, I have a trans jack but no lift or pit. How high does the car need to be and which is easier to do.

AleroB888
11-18-2011, 02:13 PM
What would you guys recommend? Pulling the motor with the trans out? dropping the subframe and dropping it? I'm doing it myself, I have a trans jack but no lift or pit. How high does the car need to be and which is easier to do.

Dig a pit

[ChaosweaveR]
11-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Dig a pit

And drive into it.

hahano404
11-18-2011, 04:13 PM
turn it upside down?

slograndam
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Is there a manual on the proper way to do it. I can have it done for 550$ but I trust doing it myself over some shop thats gonna **** me over again.

MAC the KNIFE
11-18-2011, 06:13 PM
turn it upside down?

Is there a manual on the proper way to do it?

you live in state college PA, right? it shouldn't be too hard...
http://media.katu.com/images/111010_penn-state-riot405.jpg
http://www.dispatch.com/content/graphics/2011/11/10/penn-state-riot.jpg?__scale=w:620,h:413,t:2
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4ebb5e5669bedd3755000020/penn-state-riot-van.jpg

lastyear4gt
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Spend the $550. Pulling it out the bottom is a PITA without a hoist. As a mechanic with no access to a car hoist, I will pay someone to do it.

AaronGTR
11-19-2011, 12:40 PM
There is no way to do it without either a hoist, or a cherry picker (rolling engine lift). You can take it out the top or the bottom depending on your equipment.

If you only have a cherry picker (you can rent them some places) then you have to take it out the top. You can remove the engine and trans together in one shot if you remove enough stuff. Either way you have to drain the fluids and disconnect all the hoses, lines, and wiring harness from the engine though... and at that point IMO you might as well just unbolt the engine from the trans and take them out one at a time. Easier to maneuver them that way I think, and less weight to lift and roll around, plus it's easier to get the axles out and disconnect the trans mounts etc with the engine out. Good thing about doing it this way is, you don't have to disconnect the suspension and drop the sub-frame so you don't need an alignment afterward.

If you have a shop do it with a lift, then they can support the engine and leave it in the bay... meaning they don't have to drain coolant, and disconnect the fuel lines, wiring etc. That saves a bit of time, but then they have to disconnect the suspension and drop the sub-frame to take it out the bottom, and you'll need a front end alignment afterward. Basically both ways have their plus and minus, and take about the same amount of time IMO. Either way you need some special equipment to do it though. You can't do this at home with just a jack and some stands.

slograndam
11-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Just talked to my buddy who has a garage, think were gonna go with pulling the motor.

lastyear4gt
11-19-2011, 04:23 PM
That's alot of extra work. By garage you mean with a lift? If so take it out the bottom.

slograndam
11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
he has engine hoist and trans jack / pit