Suspension Issue (Strut Mount Blown?) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Issue (Strut Mount Blown?)

Hodge
11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
It's been a while, Hope everyone is good.

Leaving today & something just started banging hard in the right rear.. If anyone could help me diagnose the name of the problem, I would appreciate it. I've searched everywhere, but since I haven't done auto technical work in a while, I don't know what the hell it is.

I changed the struts/springs to KYB struts & lowered it two inches myself about 6 years ago.. but again I don't know the name of the problem

Would like to get a little information before I take it into the shop. Any help is appreciated.

Picture below

01GrandAmGt75annv.
11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
damn, that doesn't look good! Would suck to drive a car like that with this problem.

burgett2103
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
probably need a new mount. looks like it just went right through it

02GT_SkyHigh
11-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Ya ^^^ looks like the rubber blew out and the top of the shock is just bouncin around.

Rear mounts are much, much easier to do than fronts. Your in luck

AaronGTR
11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Yep, the mount is shot. Shaft went right through it which is why you are hearing the banging noise. When the suspension compresses and extends, the shaft is just banging around inside the mount instead of the shaft moving the piston inside the strut body. Shouldn't take long or cost much to have a shop replace one rear strut mount. Super easy.

Hodge
11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it. Took it into the shop today we'll see what the damage is $$$. Thanks again

drakesrevenge
12-05-2011, 02:31 AM
same thing just happened to me. 2nd time in 2 years on my left rear. is there a way to put a stopper or anything else to keep the shaft from expanding so far? i have eibachs (lowered the rear about a inch and a half) getting ready to order gr-2's again as the current set has lasted me about 5 years.

Lab Rat
12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I would just replace the rear mounts. No rubber stopper. As said it's an easy repair. My Kyb's are still fine after 70000. You shouldn't "need" struts yet.