motor mount torque spec [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : motor mount torque spec

panmanhd
11-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I need remove the top motor mount on my 2002 gagt so that i can replace the serpentine belt, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the mount bolts on the engine and the body? also does anybody know when is a good time to replace the front wheel bearings, i got 202000 miles on the stock ones! car runs like a top

burgett2103
11-25-2011, 10:18 PM
never had to remove a motor mount to replace the belt...

AaronGTR
11-26-2011, 08:54 AM
never had to remove a motor mount to replace the belt...

Uh, what are you talking about? You can't get the belt off without disconnecting the motor mount. It goes through the middle of the belt routing. When you push the tensioner in and take the belt off it will be caught on the mount unless you take out the connecting plate.

Anyway, the nuts for the bracket are 35 ft/lbs and the two big bolts are 96 ft/lbs. I never torque them myself though. Good and tight by hand with a 1/2 drive socket is good enough, or a couple hits with an impact gun on the second setting will usually do it. They won't come loose.

lastyear4gt
11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
#2 on the impact gun

burgett2103
11-26-2011, 09:40 AM
What am I talking about? Exactly what I said. Obviously you can change belts without removing the mount seeing I've done it multiple times. Use logic peeps

burgett2103
11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Actually sorry guys. I just remembered that I never changed belt I just did alternator several times. Sorry I just woke up too haha. But honestly never changed belt so I don't know. I just remembered working with tensioner for the alternator

Malaclypse
11-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeeah you have to take that plate off as the bare minimum. It helps to have a jack under the motor with a block of wood to raise and lower it as needed.

burgett2103
11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
that really is a pain. all that just for a belt change....

AaronGTR
11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Yep, it's the only way to do it. That's how I do it, with a jack and wood block under the engine. It's really not that hard. That's just how it is with the engine mount on the front of the engine and the upper frame rail like that. They could have put a mount for that side of the engine down on the bottom of the oil pan instead like on the grand prix sitting on top of the sub-frame... and in fact the pan has mounting holes there just for that purpose on other 3400 platforms like minivans... but since the 3400 is taller than the 3800, using that style of mount would have made the engine sit higher in the car. Using the front cover style mount allowed them to sit the engine lower in the car for a lower hood and center of gravity.

That's also why the oil pan is so close to the sub-frame that you have to either drop the frame or lift the engine to take the oil pan off with the engine in the car. ;)