Aftermarket headlight housing ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket headlight housing ?

wistech
11-26-2011, 06:53 PM
My wifes 2000 gt headlight lenses were so crazed and yellow they were pretty much amber turn signal lamps . i snagged a set of aftermarket replacement housings off ebay and after instalation I was shocked how awfull the light pattern is . Just bright spots and dark spots everywhere. I tried the hids and although it brighter its still far below par. is it worth it to go with the GM replacement housing or is this just a grand am thing. Im going to put some silverstar ultras in tonight to see if they work better than the high /low HIDs.
I put 800 series hids in the fog lamps and they are better headlights than the darn headlights for beam pattern. Still not enough for safe hyway driving.

Jer23
11-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Hi. I would have bought one of the 3m headlight restoration kits. I just did this yesterday to my new to me 01 2dr gt.

It took me 2 hrs total. The headlights look brand new. I put sylnania silverstar in the headlights and super yellow knock off xenon fogbulbs in. Looks awesome at night.

The super yellow fogs helps in the winter with the snow I find. I did this to my 4dr about a year and a half ago.

The 4dr looks almost as good as the day I did it.

Hope this helps.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
If you really want a difference in light output, do a retrofit projector swap to a set of headlight housings.

AaronGTR
11-27-2011, 09:43 AM
He's probably not going to want to go to that amount of trouble. Sounds like he isn't into modding, but just looking for an oem level fix.

What kind of aftermarket headlights did you get? If there are the black housing ones... yeah, the beam pattern and light output on those is not as good as stock. Most regular aftermarket replacements though should be pretty close to stock as far as output and beam (though not necessarily quality). The problem could be that you bought them off ebay. A lot of stuff on there is the cheapest garbage you can find. If you had bought a mid-price aftermarket replacement from someplace like rockauto.com you might have been better off. They have a TYC replacement for $37. You can't go wrong with an actual oem replacement part either though. gmpartsdirect.com has them for $109.

wistech
11-27-2011, 02:03 PM
The originals were far beyond the headlight resto kits. They were yellow to the bone. I am just wondering if the oem housing were as bad as the china crap. Heck I should have just cut the clear lenses off the new ones and epoxied them onto the old housings. I read a few posts saying that grand ams have some pretty bad original headlights. What is entailed in cobbing a projector kit on ? Any threads one this ? I can build anything if need be.
Thanks

bricooper78
11-27-2011, 02:12 PM
something else to check is that you have the bulbs facing the right way, it is possible to put them in"upside down" to where your high-beams actually go lower than the low beams, which also leads to terrible light output.

my aftermarket chromes suck, but were better than fogged over stockers, so you shouldn't have gotten a worse output.

AaronGTR
11-27-2011, 05:06 PM
^ With HID's you can do that, but factory bulbs only go in one way and there is not top or bottom. They are dual filament for the highs and lows. Orientation doesn't matter.

Took me a minute to find it, but here's a really good thread on retro-fitting HID's. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85034 The results were, in my opinion, some of the best looking and most reasonably costing projector retro-fits I've seen done here. I want to tackle this project myself some day.

bricooper78
11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
great, i was the only one who's done that... great.awesome. i seriously had one in upside down, iirc it was even with the factory housings. i'm so glad i'm the one person that's happened too lol

btw, please disregard earlier post, as apparently that's just a "special" circumstance!! :D

[ChaosweaveR]
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Well, the stock light output blows no matter how you slice it. I still stand by doing a retrofit and HID setup. Worth the effort over slapping in new heads if light output, and light pattern is a big deal.

wistech
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I ended up using silverstar ultras which were brighter than the HIDS but the pattern stick had dark patches. I adjusted the low beams up much higher than stock so they put out a decent pattern on low. On high they are up in the trees but I never use high beam. What really did the trick was the pair of 55 watt driving lights . Those muthers fill in all the gaps and are far better than headlights. I originally had them wired to come on with the parking lights but I was getting flashed from oncoming traffic so I hooked them back up to the stock switch. Now on low with the driving lights on I have the best system Ive ever had on a car. When I throw the brights on the drivers shut off and its shining the trees but like I said I will never use that .

TDavis
12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I ended up using silverstar ultras which were brighter than the HIDS but the pattern stick had dark patches. I adjusted the low beams up much higher than stock so they put out a decent pattern on low. On high they are up in the trees but I never use high beam. What really did the trick was the pair of 55 watt driving lights . Those muthers fill in all the gaps and are far better than headlights. I originally had them wired to come on with the parking lights but I was getting flashed from oncoming traffic so I hooked them back up to the stock switch. Now on low with the driving lights on I have the best system Ive ever had on a car. When I throw the brights on the drivers shut off and its shining the trees but like I said I will never use that .

I guarantee the Silverstar ultra where not brighter then the HIDs lol. If they where you'd most likely be getting flashed if they where aimed incorrectly. Many say Silverstar ultras are really a waste of money and don't last long. Get some Philips X-treme power 9007 bulbs and you'll love those.

When I put my HIDs in my fogs I honestly don't even need my headlights on at night anymore but obviously I do have them on for obvious reasons, regardless they add a little more light to the road which is always good. I turn them off though once I get into my subdivision. Been almost a week and haven't been flashed when my fogs are on at night.

TruGreenGAGT
12-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I had the same problem with my black/clears when I had them.....swapped my silverstar ultras out for some HID....couldn't see but 3ft in front of the car. and I tried with 3 various HID kits....said screw it took the HID out and went back to my SSU....that was what finally led me to start the retro I did

bricooper78
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Have any of you guys used the XtraVision lights? Put them in the truck, and woaw! they do throw some light! of course the height of the truck helps, but I really like them in that truck

wistech
12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
The problem it looks like with the HIDs is most of the filament tube is covered up by the metal heat shield in the housing which Im sure is why they just dont throw the light of the silverstars which dont stick into the shields as much. The other issue with the HIDS is I think Ishould have used a cooler color as the contrast of the shadows all over the place are much worse with a higher temp bulb. I think its a case of poorly designed chinese knockoffs .
Ive used silverstar ulttras in my snowmobiles and they were a godsend compared to the stock bulbs.

TDavis
12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
The problem it looks like with the HIDs is most of the filament tube is covered up by the metal heat shield in the housing which Im sure is why they just dont throw the light of the silverstars which dont stick into the shields as much. The other issue with the HIDS is I think Ishould have used a cooler color as the contrast of the shadows all over the place are much worse with a higher temp bulb. I think its a case of poorly designed chinese knockoffs .
Ive used silverstar ulttras in my snowmobiles and they were a godsend compared to the stock bulbs.

I'm guessing when you say "cooler color" your talking about the Kelvin scale, which they are all the same temperature wise. 35W or 55W changes the burn temp.

4300k HID is ideal for best output, max I would go is 6k. I personally would choose 5k if I ever did this. BTW people who have put HIDs in our headlights have taken out the medal ring or whatever that thing is called.