Car shuts off on its own [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car shuts off on its own

Il2fun
12-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey guys I've been having this problem with my car its 2003 grand am gt and it keeps turning off on its own while driving. Its happened to me 3 times while decelarating and twice while accelerating. Its like if I grabed my car key and just switched it off. I can put the car in neutral and start it right up. Any ideas?

lastyear4gt
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
If all the dash lights die likely a poor connection to/or bcm.

Il2fun
12-12-2011, 07:21 AM
What do you mean if all my dash lights die? I know they turn off and then after a few seconds the lights come back on and then I can start my car back up.If it was something else then my lights would stay on even when my car shuts off?

young gun
12-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Ignition control module. You can get it tested at autozone/pep boys/ whomever but mine tested fine but when the car warmed up it malfunctioned. Grab one from a junkyard and just try swapping them out.

Cacique
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
bad battery conection (most likely), alternator, or fuel pump, if there are anymore reasons aside from the one mention before, please share

Il2fun
12-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Im leaning towards the body control module cuz ive been having issues lately with unlocking and locking my car and when i checked under the passenger side and took off the cover I found rust on one of the cross bars.