Car stopped blowing heat, then started back? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car stopped blowing heat, then started back?

eBandit
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
My car stopped blowing heat and had cold air when I started it after coming out of a store last night. It didn't overheat but I seen the temp. rise some. A couple minutes later I tried again and it was working ok and the temp. went back to normal. This happened once last year too.

I know I have a slight Coolant leak leaking external around the intake/head area by the thermostat housing (but it isn't the housing cause I changed that gasket and the thermostat last year). I need to look at it closer to see where it is leaking though. But it doesn't seem to loose much. I notice the light smell sometimes when I shut the car off though from it.

I was wondering what might have caused the no heat issue so I can fix it before and issue gets worse and if it is a major fix because I really want to replace the car as soon as I find the right vehicle at the right price (mainly looking at light wrecks). About 2 years ago I think is when I last flushed the cooling system out and put in fresh antifreeze. the current leak even though not that bad has been slowed down by a bottle of the Bars cooling system leak stuff (the one that also reduces water temp etc. and is about $7-8 a bottle).

Thanks for any advice anyone offers and Happy Holidays to everyone on GrandAmGT.com!

Malaclypse
12-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Your coolant leak has caused that problem.

The coolant level got just low enough to cause a pocket of air to form in the heater core. Once you fix the leak and bleed the system you won't have that issue anymore.

BTW that Bars stopleak stuff is worthless.

unchained_01
12-11-2011, 02:45 AM
X2 on that. Air is the culprit , burp that beeotch and keep her full. Lol. And Scott is also right about bars leak too. It hurts more than it will ever help. Ruined rads and plugged water jackets Fouled senors. It's not worth the trouble down the road

eBandit
12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
ok, thanks. I guess I didnt check it as soon as I should. I went out and looked and it was low. I filled it up and it had cold air till it got to about 215. So must be an air pocket like you said. I'll just have to fix the leak the right way as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Your GA in your avatar pic is a sharp looking car- unchained 01.