98 Grand AM electrical/starting issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 98 Grand AM electrical/starting issues

atomicradish
12-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey, hoping you guys can help me diagnose a problem with my GA (1998, 2.4 GT 5 spd). I am about to go on a Christmas trip, so I'm hoping the car will get me home OK.

While driving a couple days ago, the car first started acting up. I was driving around 10 MPH (just started from a stop sign) and the car was warm, when suddenly the car died on me. The tach started jumping up and down, even though the car was not moving, and I could hear a strange electrical noise coming from inside the dash. I turned the key to off, and it cranked right back up.

Fast forward to today, and I couldn't get the car to start. The starter would engage, but the engine wouldn't turn over. It turned over after 5 or 6 tries, but after each failed attempt I could hear the electrical noise, and the tach would go crazy, which leads to me believe they are related issues....

I replaced the alternator and starter all within the last year. Anyone know what this might be? If it were just a starting issue, I would drive it home provided I could start it....but given that the car cut out of me the other day, I'm much more hesitant.

juanvan
12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Sounds like there is a lose wire somewhere from the install of those parts.
Check all the wire connections and make sure they are tight.
The click under the dash I don't know why that is happening.
Any SES lights?

[ChaosweaveR]
12-20-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm not that familiar with the 4th gens, but IIRC, they have a BCM (body control module) that keeps the troublecodes for issues like you're having. You'll know when the SERVICE VEHICLE SOON light appears, not the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. But you'll need a specific diagnostic reader to pull codes from the BCM.

street_fire
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
check connections on the battary, Alt, and starter....