Trouble finding.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding..

UndeadGods
12-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I cant find the next level strut tower brace anywhere, it doesnt have to be next level tho.

In the "mods" section it says that they can be found on PFYC. I couldnt find it..
Couldnt find it on andysautosport either.

Am I just blind?

Can anyone send me a link please?
I prefer to order it online, but I'm sure I could find it at my local parts dealer

burgett2103
12-25-2011, 02:05 PM
ebay has them

or

www.customgrandam.com has them

G.I.Ceo
12-25-2011, 02:08 PM
They dont make that style of strut braces anymore. You can still buy them but only ebay sells them now.

UndeadGods
12-25-2011, 02:49 PM
On www.customgrandam.com there are some, but in the description it says "Will not work on 2003.5 and up models" I have a 2003, what da hell is 2003.5 model?

GrandAmGTCoupe
12-25-2011, 03:42 PM
MP Racing has them. http://www.mpracing.org/store/index.php?search%5Bkeywords%5D=strut+tower+brace&_a=category I have no idea how reliable they are anymore though.

UndeadGods
12-25-2011, 05:01 PM
How come all the other places have them for almost 100$ but ebay has it for 29.99?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-99-05-Grand-AM-Rear-Upper-Tower-Brace-Strut-Bar?item=370546626980&cmd=ViewItem

AaronGTR
12-25-2011, 06:01 PM
How come all the other places have them for almost 100$ but ebay has it for 29.99?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-99-05-Grand-AM-Rear-Upper-Tower-Brace-Strut-Bar?item=370546626980&cmd=ViewItem

Because those ebay bars are crap. There is a difference in the quality of what you get for the price. The $30 ebay bar is made of aluminum so it isn't going to be very stiff, and it's mounting brackets only go over two holes in the strut mount, so it's not as stable and isn't going to stiffen the chassis as well. The Next Level bar I have is made of tubular chromoly steel so it is MUCH stiffer, and the brackets go all the way around the top of the strut tower and use all three mounting bolts. The Next Level stuff isn't made any more though unfortunately.

AaronGTR
12-25-2011, 06:04 PM
On www.customgrandam.com there are some, but in the description it says "Will not work on 2003.5 and up models" I have a 2003, what da hell is 2003.5 model?

They are probably talking about the front bar only. GM changed the charging post on the alternator mid year in '03 and it sticks up and hits most strut tower braces designed for the GA. I believe someone found a work around for this though? Or you can change the alternator for an aftermarket or OEM one from an earlier car with the normal style post. There is no difference in the alternator operation.

UndeadGods
12-26-2011, 02:13 PM
They are probably talking about the front bar only. GM changed the charging post on the alternator mid year in '03 and it sticks up and hits most strut tower braces designed for the GA. I believe someone found a work around for this though? Or you can change the alternator for an aftermarket or OEM one from an earlier car with the normal style post. There is no difference in the alternator operation.

So what would you recommend, customgrandam.com's or mpracing's?

Also I have an alternator that has a red wire on top right corner, I'm assuming that I have the 2003.5 then? I can kinda see why it the strut tower brace would affect it.

Nick-G
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
So what would you recommend, customgrandam.com's or mpracing's?

Also I have an alternator that has a red wire on top right corner, I'm assuming that I have the 2003.5 then? I can kinda see why it the strut tower brace would affect it.

Do not buy from MPRacing a quick search will tell you why. Customgrandam is a great place to buy parts from I would for sure recommend them.

UndeadGods
12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Do not buy from MPRacing a quick search will tell you why. Customgrandam is a great place to buy parts from I would for sure recommend them.

Ok, but what about back one? Is it useful at all? Is it better to have both ones?

AaronGTR
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I would definitely get both if you can. Any extra bracing you can add at either end will improve handling. And don't buy ANYTHING from MP racing. They are not a dependable store anymore and will take you money and you'll never get your product!

UndeadGods
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Alright, it's ganna be tough finding a back one tho, customgrandam only seem to sell the front one.

Thanks for your help and info guys!

GrandAmGTCoupe
12-29-2011, 03:46 PM
They do sell the rear one there also. It's just under interior accessories. http://www.customgrandam.com/2000gtinterior.htm

GrandAmGTCoupe
12-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone know anything on Z-Spec? They also have the front and rear strut tower braces. I haven't heard of anyone buying from them though

UndeadGods
12-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone know anything on Z-Spec? They also have the front and rear strut tower braces. I haven't heard of anyone buying from them though

Z-Spec braces look exactly like the ones from MP Racing.

Anyone know what the difference is between them?

AaronGTR
01-01-2012, 10:28 AM

DON'T buy anything from Z-spec! I haven't heard if they are actually still in business anymore or not either... but they are just a company with a new name that was originally RSM racing. They were a bunch of scam artists that lied to people, stole their money, and totally screwed over this community. If they are even still around, you don't want to send money their way.

UndeadGods
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I did some research about strut towers and I'm confused about a couple of things.

I've read somewhere that the nuts need to be replaced as they are one time use. Why? Did you guys do it? And, what did you guys torque it up to when you put your old/new ones on?

Also, I dont think that it would but once again I've read it and wanted to be sure, does it affect alignment?

AaronGTR
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
No, the nuts are not one use. They can be used over and over. Torque is the same rating as normal for those. 18 ft/lbs iirc, I'll double check later. And no, it shouldn't change the alignment at all. Especially if you don't jack up or move the car with them loose that might cause anything to shift.