Car vibrating? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car vibrating?

bsspeedy45
12-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a 03 Grand am Gt automatic 3.4 110k miles . Car appeared to take longer to start up then usual but seemed fine until i put it into drive car began vibrating. After i accelerated vibrating died down but then cam back as soon came to a stop.I also noticed a weird smell when i exited the car. I went to an auto store to have them give me a reading on the check engine light that was flashing but the tech said it looks like fuse was blown because the machine wasn't scanning checked fuses their all fine. Any ideas? Ill give any info i can to help narrow down what the issue maybe but im a noobie

[ChaosweaveR]
12-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Yikes, seems like an awful issue going on here...

That "vibration" you're feeling (I may be wrong) is probably a misfire, and a BAD misfire if your SES light is flashing. As for your OBDII port, change your cigarette lighter fuse, the port uses that fuse for power.

You have an 03 like mine, if it's misfiring that badly, and your plugs, wires and coilpacks are fine...you may have a broken lifter bolt, and the intake valve stuck shut. No air = no combustion. I've had this issue twice with mine, and I've seen it common with 03 LA1 powered GM cars. This is a pricey repair if you don't personally know a good mechanic.

bsspeedy45
12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Have you seen any guides that instruct on how resolve this issue? Or a way to be certain of it being this? Really wishing it something small cause i just replace the fuel pump myself about a month ago.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
This repair is NOT for the novice, you need to pop the valve cover off, after finding out which cylinder is misfiring. If this is a broken lifter bolt, it needs to be extracted and rethreaded (most will use a heli-coil) and a new bolt for the lifter. All bolts and fasteners removed have to be retorqued to spec, and in a certain order. The valve cover gasket should be replaced as well.

MAC the KNIFE
12-26-2011, 05:16 PM
it only started vibrating when you put it in gear? when you are rolling along and its vibrating put it in neutral and see if it still happens. might be a transmission problem.

bsspeedy45
12-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Yea chaos i understand i looked up the placement and what would need to be done and that is out my scope but i was able to find out that cylinder 3 is the 1 misfiring, i also placed the car into neutral and no vibrating just to eliminate that possibility.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Yikes, cylinder 3 is usually the colprit in the lifter bolt issue, was my issue twice already.

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR, the misfire is going to ruin your O2 sensors and catalytic converter. Long term effects will be damaging on the other valves and lifters from the stress of the misfire.

Park the car and DO NOT DRIVE IT.

AaronGTR
12-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah, flashing MIL means bad misfire. No idea why their code reader wouldn't be able to communicate with the PCM though. It gets power and signal from the OBD2 port, and the PCM has a main power fuse... if that fuse was blown the reader wouldn't get any power but the PCM wouldn't either and the car wouldn't turn on or run. Only possibilities is either they were using the wrong type of code reader, the wiring to the OBD port has a break, or the PCM itself is bad.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, flashing MIL means bad misfire. No idea why their code reader wouldn't be able to communicate with the PCM though. It gets power and signal from the OBD2 port, and the PCM has a main power fuse... if that fuse was blown the reader wouldn't get any power but the PCM wouldn't either and the car wouldn't turn on or run. Only possibilities is either they were using the wrong type of code reader, the wiring to the OBD port has a break, or the PCM itself is bad.

Aaron, it uses power from the cigarette lighter fuse. ;)

rocketfast123
12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Yea chaos i understand i looked up the placement and what would need to be done and that is out my scope but i was able to find out that cylinder 3 is the 1 misfiring, i also placed the car into neutral and no vibrating just to eliminate that possibility.

Move the coil pack to another spot. Does the misfire follow?