2000 Pontiac gran am bleed coolant help..over heating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pontiac gran am bleed coolant help..over heating

forceedge99
12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a huge amount of air in my coolant and i cant seem to find the bleeder or the water pump so i can bleed it out. Its causing my car to over heat an im also getting no heat through the vents in the car. Anyone have a picture of the water pump? or maybe directions to get the air all out?

chris_gt_74
12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I have a huge amount of air in my coolant and i cant seem to find the bleeder or the water pump so i can bleed it out. Its causing my car to over heat an im also getting no heat through the vents in the car. Anyone have a picture of the water pump? or maybe directions to get the air all out?

There is a small bleeder valve on the front left of the engine. It looks like a 4-5 inch tall metal cylinder with what I believe it has an 8mm bolt on top if I remember correctly. The water pump is directly to the left of the part I just described.

forceedge99
12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
There is a small bleeder valve on the front left of the engine. It looks like a 4-5 inch tall metal cylinder with what I believe it has an 8mm bolt on top if I remember correctly. The water pump is directly to the left of the part I just described.

so the water pump is located under the throttle body? or maybe im looking at the wrong thing? Is the tall cylinder thing black? And ive been bleeding air out from a pipe along the front of the engine near the throttle area. Idk if this is the correct way but air is shooting out so i figure maybe bleed it from the water pump? I get no heat, I know I have air in the system and my car is still over heating. I did i flush on it the other day. Could that be the reason? and how could I prevent this?

shiwnath
12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
The water pump is on the left side of your engine. It's belt driven and has a big coolant hose coming from it.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp222/d1pl0mat5/3400v62.jpg

AaronGTR
01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
You may have a stuck thermostat. That shouldn't prevent you from having heat in the car though since coolant runs through the heater core lines all the time. Only thing that would stop that is either the lines or core being plugged up, or not enough coolant in the system to go through them.

Honestly I've never had much trouble getting the air out of my cooling system. Usually I just fill it up and run it a short time then fill it again and just keep topping off the reservoir until it stays full. The air all works it's way back to the reservoir through the small return lines on the top.