Advice please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

chris_gt_74
01-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Okay well I got the ported heads from alerored04 yesterday. I decided to dismantle them and start cleaning them up and I came across this.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll234/grand_am_gt_74/2012-01-14225521.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll234/grand_am_gt_74/2012-01-14225640.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll234/grand_am_gt_74/2012-01-14225653.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll234/grand_am_gt_74/2012-01-14225714.jpg

I'm sure this was done by the machine shop but should I be concerned with fixing it? All the valve guides are roughly installed with a height of .65" except for these 2. The short one is about .45" install height and the tall one is about .85" install height. The valves seem to seat correctly still but I need to clean them up some more to be 100% sure. These were on alerored04's car for a few years and he had no problems he noted. I'm not sure what would need to be done to get them in the correct spots or cost. But if I have no trouble with leaking valves should I even bother and just leave it be? Thanks in advance.

Malaclypse
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
It looks like the valve guides are press-fit so there really shouldn't be any issues. They won't drop out on you at all. The only problem is the airflow into the cylinder on the guide that's installed deeper will be more turbulent. You may have more fuel drop out and that cylinder may run a little leaner than the others.

This is just a suggestion and it may work out fine, but I'm no machinist. If you could find a brass drift with the same diameter of the valve guides, you could use the drift and a small hammer to try and even them up.

As I said, may not be the best idea but its what I'd try.

unchained_01
01-15-2012, 08:15 AM
IMO i would have the heads "worked" 3 angle, magnafluxed, guides replaced with retaining clips and milled at least .005 after being checked for flatness And any questionable rocker threads helicoiled And save your self some money and alot of hassle later down the road Just my .02 Take them in for an estimate its rather inexpensive

AaronGTR
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why those would have done that, unless the original shop that worked on them replaced the guides. But if they did that, they should have set them in the correct position. It may run with them there, but that will have an effect on air flow in the port, and if they are too high on the spring side they can interfere with the spring and the valve seal. Especially if you are using a high lift cam.

I would definitely take them to a machine shop that does head work and have them checked out. Make sure they are flat, no cracks or warpage, and try and get all the guides set at the correct height.

chris_gt_74
01-15-2012, 10:20 PM
It looks like the valve guides are press-fit so there really shouldn't be any issues. They won't drop out on you at all. The only problem is the airflow into the cylinder on the guide that's installed deeper will be more turbulent. You may have more fuel drop out and that cylinder may run a little leaner than the others.

This is just a suggestion and it may work out fine, but I'm no machinist. If you could find a brass drift with the same diameter of the valve guides, you could use the drift and a small hammer to try and even them up.

As I said, may not be the best idea but its what I'd try.

They are both exhaust valve guides. They should not affect air going in to the cylinder should they? But needless to say I want them fixed if I can.

Malaclypse
01-15-2012, 10:36 PM
They are both exhaust valve guides. They should not affect air going in to the cylinder should they? But needless to say I want them fixed if I can.

Good point. Didn't notice they were exhaust valves. It'll affect airflow on the outside though..

Get 'em fixed... Have the head cleaned up and nows a good time to get a valve job done.

chris_gt_74
01-16-2012, 12:30 AM
This is a different issue but does anyone know what would cause the wear pictured in that last picture? It is the only bowl with that ring pattern on either head. It appears to be indentations that are in a perfect circle. But it looks to be inside of where the head gasket ring sat so I'm thinking the gasket didn't cause it and it's almost like the piston had hit it or something at some point. I don't know it just looked weird because no other areas on the heads have that same pattern. Anyway I have since cleaned them up much better. All that has to be done know is to get them checked out and see about having the valve guides fixed and a valve job. But that will have to wait for income next month.

chris_gt_74
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
**UPDATE**

Well after some emails I was lead to believe that these heads were going to be a money pit. So currently they are being used to mock up my pacesetters for modifications so I can get some of the stuff welded together. After that I don't know, the scrap heap I guess. I was reimbursed most of my money for the heads and the busted cam from another thread.

But here's the real update. I've been emailing Ben back and forth for a few weeks coming up with some ideas on what to do with my engine. I was going to go with a 3500 top swap but ended up backing out of it because of the lack of 3500 cores and the total cost approaching $2k. So what I ended up going with is the ported sportsman heads (mostly built except for springs and locks which I already have from the money pit heads). I'm having them milled .005, 3500 valves, and a valve job. I am also getting the sportsman ported lower and upper manifolds. Of course the full gasket kit to and head bolts. I still had to pay for the cores but I plan on sending my parts in when I switch all the parts. I decided to hold off on a cam for now do to the added cost and more difficult work involved.

I know some may ask why I didn't go with a whole 3500 swap for less money. Well I would have given I had the location and needed tools to accomplish it. I would have had to rent or buy several things that I do not have but the main reason is no place to pull an engine or even a way to transport it, this is also why I opted to not do a cam at the moment.

Anywho, I am also going to do a catback exhaust sometime this year at which time I will hopefully have my headers ready to. As some may remember I have pacesetters that I am doing some modifications to including a jethot coating. But the headers aren't even close to being ready to use. I have to get several welds done that will half ass require them to be in the car so I don't have any alignment issues.

sleepyalero
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
sucks to hear about the heads, so you are making your own headers? i want to see pics. :p

chris_gt_74
02-23-2012, 04:32 PM
sucks to hear about the heads, so you are making your own headers? i want to see pics. :p

Yeah I was pretty bummed about them. I'm not even sure if they are even usable. I was told the valve guides being repaired would be the killer so long as nothing else was wrong with them.

I'm not making my own headers. I am modifying some pacesetters I got a few months ago with a new y-pipe, v-bands and relocating the crossover pipe a little. I am also trying to squeeze in custom made downpipe that has a flex pipe in it. I'm not sure if that will happen or not because there is very limited distance between the y-pipe and the cat. If I didn't already have them I'd consider attempting custom one's.

chris_gt_74
03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I should be getting my heads and manifolds next week or the week after. Ben also sold me a set of S&S headers he had laying around. It was a good deal IMO. It comes with a full downpipe w/cat and a wideband bung already welded on so everything will bolt right up without having to weld anything.

Anyone interested, he is planning on having equal length headers forsale in the next few months. They will be uncoated though. The price is set at $750 and they are purty if they are going to look like his latest beta headers he posted on facebook. I would have waited for these but there is no set availability time yet.

chris_gt_74
04-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Well I have most of what mods I had planned for now done. I installed sportsman ported heads with 3 angle valve job and 3500 valves, competition ported LIM, competition ported UIM with 65mm opening, LX5 65mm throttle body w/ adapter and S&S headers with high flow cat. Last 2 things to do for now is a catback and a tune.

I did get a dud LIM upon my initial install from Ben which he replaced along with gaskets but I have yet to install it. I do however still have a ported LIM in there just not the competition one I need to swap out.