Car will not start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car will not start

s_horne
01-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey there,

I'm driving an '02 Grand Am GT, and lately, it's been giving me some trouble. About a month ago, the car wouldn't start. It would crank over, I could hear the fuel pump, but it just wouldn't start. Eventually, my battery died, so I put in a new one, and the car ran great for about 2 days. Then it starting acting up again, but this time, it would start sometimes and it wouldn't others. So we towed it home (I'm at school) and had a look at it there. After a while, it seemed as though it was the ignition switch, so we replaced it. The car ran great for about a week or so, and then it started doing what it did after we replaced the battery. Any ideas? I'm thinking the next step may be to get a new key for it, but I'm not quite sure. Thanks.

AaronGTR
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
If the ignition switch is new, and the key goes in and you are able to turn the ignition cylinder, then the key isn't the problem. If it was worn down too much then the cylinder would stay locked and you wouldn't be able to turn it. Once it turns, the ignition switch will activate and start the car.

It sounds like something else is going on there... but unfortunately you don't really have enough information yet to give us a clue about what it might be. Unless you can come up with any more information, you might just have to take it to a dealership or mechanic.

locoman99
01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
get your alt checked...when a new batt provides a temp fix points to charging issues. does your security light come on when it wont start? May be two seperate issues.

burgett2103
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I would get alternator tested and see how that is doing. Depending how much you drove those 2 days, could have been that you had enough juice to drive and start both days. Since it doesn't start now, alternator could be bad since it isn't charging your battery. I'd start there, seeing it's a free test by yourself or by auto zone or somewhere.

street_fire
01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Check the starter.

s_horne
01-19-2012, 11:00 PM
get your alt checked...when a new batt provides a temp fix points to charging issues. does your security light come on when it wont start? May be two seperate issues.

No, the security light does not come on, should have mentioned that that was something else we tried.

Lab Rat
01-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Battery wires go bad over time. They turn green and rot inside the red and black plastic covers. You can't tell just by looking at them. Cut them open and clean up the corrosion. Kind of a pain to replace them.

Could also be the alternator but they cost 180 - 200. Autozone will test it for you. Sounds like a charging problem to me.