99 grand am gt exhaust [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 grand am gt exhaust

gtboi2003
01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I see everyone has a aftermarket muffler i asked my parts people and they told me they dont have any for that car so what are you guys using that works with this car? someone told me a camaro muffler works i just want to make sure i order the right part i need the part number and make or anything else thats good and compatible

[ChaosweaveR]
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
The 5th gen GAGT's have a crossflow muffler, basically...it sits transverse, has one inlet, and two outlets. The "look" of dual exhaust from one muffler. The 4th gen and 3rd gen F-bodies use this same type of muffler, main reason why it's common to snag an F-body muffler for our N-body cars.

I recommend this setup. Sounds great, isn't too costly, and gives a small bump in HP.

Flowmaster 80 series muffler: 2.5" inlet 2.5" outlets
Glasspack, any brand. Between 18" to 24" in length, and 2.25" inlet and outlet size
Pick out a set of tips you like for the shop to finish off the exhaust outlets with

Mine cost $375 said and done, with install.

AaronGTR
01-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I see everyone has a aftermarket muffler i asked my parts people and they told me they dont have any for that car so what are you guys using that works with this car? someone told me a camaro muffler works i just want to make sure i order the right part i need the part number and make or anything else thats good and compatible

You are obviously asking the wrong people then. Borla still makes an exhaust for the grand am (last I heard anyway) and pacesetter does as well. The pacesetter one just isn't very good in my opinion.

You can also get just a muffler, or a custom cat-back exhaust made using a couple options from Flowmaster or Magnaflow. Any single inlet/dual outlet cross flow muffler will work if you can fit it under the rear end with the piping. A lot of people do this. Just search on here for "flowmaster".

MAC the KNIFE
01-29-2012, 06:45 AM
http://www.pfyc.com/c/GAEXH/Exhaust.html

yep borla is still making them. but i dont remember paying +700$ for mine. too expensive,
but it's also the best sounding IMO

AaronGTR
01-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Actually iirc the Borla has always been pretty expensive. You pay for quality though. SLP was about $200 cheaper. It was 1/4" larger diameter than the Borla, and both are stainless steel, but the SLP's construction wasn't quite as nice as the Borla, and it used an inferior grade of stainless that still gets some surface rust.