New gasket design for LIM? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New gasket design for LIM?

lone_wolf025
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Had the car in for an oil change and figured since I'm hitting 80k miles I wanted to know what issues I may have in the near future. Mechanic did a thorough inspection and noted that besides all 4 struts were worn out (40k miles on them), that the LIM gasket was just beginning to leak. He noted that apparently there is a recently updated gasket/bolt combination. Not sure if he forgot that they've done that replacement job once already (and was done again a while back when I got my P&P manifolds) or if there really is a "new" setup out there.

Kinda curious if anyone else has heard anything as I'll be doing the job myself this time (no more extended warranty :( ) and would like to make sure I've got the newest setup. I do know about the whole metal impregnated gasket sets and that is what's on the car now.

HOYS
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
There have been two major distributors of Intake Gaskets for awhile now, Fel-Pro and GM. Doorman recently came out with their own version of the gaskets and I have heard good things so far.

I don't think there has been a "Newer, better!" gasket for these engines for a good while now.

I'm honestly surprised that the gaskets are leaking again after you just got them done. That shouldn't happen if they are installed properly.