Help- Water leak rear passenger seat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help- Water leak rear passenger seat

gskills
01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Hello
for a few months I have noticed that my car seems to be really foggy on the inside...
well i finally found out why.
I seem to have a mystery water leak that is getting the passenger rear seat soaking wet, it seems to be underneath the back seat mostly....

my car is a 2003 grand am 2 door gt with sunroof... low miles only 30,000 and its in great shape i have no clue where this leak came from.....

i did notice a small drop of water on the back rear window so maybe its comming from above the back rear window...a quick inspection of the outside rear window seems to be real tight around that molding .........

any ideas?

I will need to find out how to take apart the rear plastic and how to remove the rear seat to dry it now...

Thanks

MAC the KNIFE
02-01-2012, 04:49 AM
i've had lots of leaks lately. i completely stripped out the interior for a few months so i could monitor where the leaks were coming from. i noticed a drop or two in the rear passenger seat a few times and i figured it was from condensation forming on the rear windshield and then dripping. but im not sure because a few times after rains i have seen a small puddle in the rear passenger floor, but not every time it rains.

the good news is that the whole rear seat and stuff comes out real easy. drop the rear seatbacks and where they split there are two bolts, 13mm or 1/2" ratchet backs them out. just pull out on the whole seatback assembly, its heavy but not hard at all. then there are two plastic clips holding down the rear seat bottom, just push on the clips with a long screwdriver to release and pull the whole seat bottom out.

gskills
02-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Well i just went downstairs on my break ( i work nights)
I took the dark grey plastic part off from under the window ( i could not take off the top until i get a torx bit)

and it was all wet / damp under and around the base of the window.....

I then went to my trunk and in the same side rear its also wet near the tail light...

I pulled out the drain plug and i could blow threw it fine so i snapped it back in...

All i can think is the water is dripping in and then going to the back ?

Does the sunroof have any drains that go to the back ? i see two front ones but when you pop it I cant see any going to the back.....

gskills
02-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Well I didn't have a second person but I took off the platiscs from the rear passenger side. Undid the seat belt ect... I also took the back part of the headliner off so I could peak at theback of the sunroof and it looks wet at the back right of it... if your sitting inthe back passenger seat....just a few drops... and the headliner does not seem like it has a lot of water damage yet....
I blew air threw the right rear drain behind the headlight ... is that the sunroof drain? As it seemed cleae....
So I guess I'm going to take off the headliner.... has anyone had to chang the seal of the sunroof? Or how about that rubber that goes around the glass?
Thx

MAC the KNIFE
02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
where the trunk meets the tail lights, i had severe leaking on both sides. the crack is visible here. just remove the tail lights and have a look. yes there are drip lines from the sunroof, but mine weren't the problem
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30341&stc=1&d=1328148303
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30342&stc=1&d=1328148323