Help please!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!!

99grandma
02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
First off new time member here lol...and totally srry if I have this in the wrong section but my wife has a 99 grand am and I ran into a wierd problem!! This only happens "usually" when the car is cold or first starting up but I get a Severe loud clunky noise from the front end seriously like somethings falling off..the best way I can describe it is it sounds like something is bouncing around in my whell but I cant seem to find anything loose! Its got me stumped

99grandma
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Sorry its only when Im driving at first then it goes away

CherieHunter
02-02-2012, 12:47 AM
I think you'd better add some engine oil now.
When the car pull over for a whole night, my uncle told me don't drive away after you spark. The engine gears and transmission systems need fluids. Sounds make sense.
All I know, hope it helps.

BJPbrandon2448
02-02-2012, 12:49 AM
I think you'd better add some engine oil now.
When the car pull over for a whole night, my uncle told me don't drive away after you spark. The engine gears and transmission systems need fluids. Sounds make sense.
All I know, hope it helps.

LMFAO!!!! Thats some logical information there, hope you all dont take it for granted!!!:applause:

99grandma
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Well I knew that!! Its not coming from the engine bay whatsoever! Its coming from either the front drivers side or passenger tire... I already looked to see if anything was loose and I cant find a thing! I build gtp's not grand am's lol

mfuller
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Could be a bad control arm bushing, ball joint, or swaybar endlink.
Does the noise only happen when you are moving?

locoman99
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I was thinkin mount or cv...more info please...

99grandma
02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Yes sorry it only does for maybe a tops of 3 mins only while moving!! I checked cv's and could'nt see or feel any play in them whatsoever...I do know she has a bad driver side wheel hub but I wouldnt think it was bad enough to make these kinds of noises! I've heard bad wheel hubs and they growl or squel but this is like somethings bouncing around inside my wheel...like off of the rim or something. No change in struts and it dont make noises when I hit bumps just while I drive for the 1st few mins....then it quits and usually I hear nothing afterwards other than a growling noise from the hub...which I checked for play and theres very little! Its enough to through the abs lights on and the brakes do some goofy crap lol

locoman99
02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Its odd for a suspension noise to go away...can I ask does it matter how long the car sits before the noise appears? Are you turning the wheel when the noise happens? Does the noise change when u turn or accelerate or coast or brake...remember noises can be transmitted a good distance. It could be coming from ur transaxle. Ur bad hub isprob causing abs light...what do mean brakes are doing goofy things?

99grandma
02-02-2012, 05:20 PM
It does it at odd times but mostly when the car is first started up like in the morning! When I turn the wheel it really doesnt change anything. Its loud like something banging around...when I speed up it usually gets louder then stops completly! Very strange lol...as for the brakes if I start driving the low trac light comes on alot then once my abs light goes on I loose my brakes for a split scond then all is fine other than the abs light staying on

locoman99
02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Well first things first...change your hub...inspect everything good and see what happens

99grandma
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Right on guys thanx alot for the help....enjoying the forums...nice work :)