Only starts on Second key crank (99 3.4L) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Only starts on Second key crank (99 3.4L)

MOTOXRCR
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a 99 Grand Am GT 3.4L and every single time the car is started after sitting it will ONLY start after the second crank of the key.

Example: Turn the key to start and the car will crank over and not start. Turn the key back to the off position and crank it over again and it fires up.

Second example is that I can get in the car and turn the key to the "ON" position, let it sit for 3-5 seconds, back to "OFF" and then crank it over and it will start.

I am assuming this is a fuel related issue where the system won't hold pressure at the rail after sitting? Is this a common problem that has a simple fix? If I shut the car off and come back in a few minutes it will start right up. It's only when the car has been sitting for a couple hours, a workday or overnight that it does this. But it starts every single time on the 2nd crank.

I'm fairly well versed in working on cars (full restorations/repairs). On the Grand Am i've done lower intake manifold gaskets in the 3.4L before, full hard brake lines front to back, etc. and have all the equipment. It isn't showing any codes on my scanner.

Any help or suggestions?