power door lock problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : power door lock problem

Y2KGA
02-09-2012, 06:42 AM
On the drivers door, the power lock no longer unlocks the door. I hear it working and it can lock the door. I can unlock the door with the key. I assume this is the actuator? Has anyone had to replace it? How big a job is it?

Thanks

westerndragon
02-09-2012, 08:03 AM
it might just be the switch can you open it with a key fob? or do you not have a remote? if you hear the lock trying to move when you press the switch its probably the actuator and im not to sure how big that is but i cant imagine its to complicated.

Y2KGA
02-09-2012, 08:28 AM
it might just be the switch can you open it with a key fob? or do you not have a remote? if you hear the lock trying to move when you press the switch its probably the actuator and im not to sure how big that is but i cant imagine its to complicated.

Key fob works. I also hear it trying to unlock when I turn the car off or try the switch.

I'm going to take the door apart this weekend and look around. Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this and what to expect. I've done the window regulator and that was pretty easy due to the great instructions on this site! Hoping that the actuator isn't too bad either.

Thanks

TruGreenGAGT
02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
if the door unlocks with the key FOB I would assume the actuator is good.
maybe faulty lock switch. try switching it with the switch from the pass side since it should be less used, and see if it then unlocks the driver door. note I think both switches need to be plugged in or it won't work (could be wrong)

Y2KGA
02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
if the door unlocks with the key FOB I would assume the actuator is good.
maybe faulty lock switch. try switching it with the switch from the pass side since it should be less used, and see if it then unlocks the driver door. note I think both switches need to be plugged in or it won't work (could be wrong)

When I said that the keyfob works, I meant that it sends that signal to the door to unlock.

The actuator is moving but doesn't unlock the door. Same thing occurs when using the power switch on the door.

I can lock the door using the fob or switch without a problem. The key still unlocks it.

TruGreenGAGT
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
ok gotcha, was unclear before.

so ya faulty actuator, or its poss. when you changed the window regulator the lock/unlock rod (not really sure if there one or two) could have come loose and is simpley hanging there.
either way guess the door panel has to come off to inspect.

also you state you can lock/unlock with the key, is this also the same with the button on the handle?

Y2KGA
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
;crapok gotcha, was unclear before.

so ya faulty actuator, or its poss. when you changed the window regulator the lock/unlock rod (not really sure if there one or two) could have come loose and is simpley hanging there.
either way guess the door panel has to come off to inspect.

also you state you can lock/unlock with the key, is this also the same with the button on the handle?

Regulator was changed about a year ago. The problem with the door not unlocking just started. I can lock and unlock the door using the manual button.

I took a peek at the service manual to see how the actuator would be changed. The manual says that the both door handles (inside and out) have to come off along with the window run channel which means removing the window. I am hoping that its not that complicated. ;crap