possible solutions why my fuel mileage sucks? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : possible solutions why my fuel mileage sucks?

burgett2103
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I have been driving my 04 GT for over a week now while my truck is in the body shop getting repaired. I've noticed my mileage absolutely sucks and I'm not really sure why. Just looking for possible solutions as to why it may suck.

It has 93K miles on it.

Could it possibly need a fuel filter?

I've only put like 250 miles on it since I bought it in October/2011 but the oil change light came on and I'm doing that tomorrow. Never let oil changes wait that long but not sure if that can affect mileage?

It's cold, so don't know if the cold and the crappy losing air in tires issue can really affect it that much. Plus I let it warm up a bit before I drive it.

Thanks in advance, just want some possible solutions why it's so bad.

(just over a quarter tank and only driven 160 miles) yeah that's terrible.

WidbyJ
02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Fuel filter would be a wise replacement at this mileage but really shouldn't cause bad mileage, if anything a clogged filter would tend to make things run leaner...

Check and/or replace the air filter, maybe it can't breath well. Tire pressure can cause up to a 10% loss in mileage, make sure you're good there.

I suspect either lame fuel or a failing O2 sensor. I would fill with premium somewhere, preferably with NO ethanol, and see how it goes. A good code scanner may be able to check the sensor for you but you are at about the mileage to replace this also. Good lucks...

rocketfast123
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
How long ar you letting your car warm up? Till it gets to the first or second line? Till the RPMs drop?

burgett2103
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
How long ar you letting your car warm up? Till it gets to the first or second line? Till the RPMs drop?

Maybe 10 minutes at the most.

And I took air filter out while I did my oil earlier and wow yeah it's pretty dirty, but I don't really seeing it affect mileage very much. Maybe it's just me letting it idle all the time to warm it up before I drive it since it's pretty cold out. I was going to throw my CAI in but I'm heading to Chicago soon and didn't have time to get it done.

rocketfast123
02-14-2012, 02:28 PM
The car is in high idle, and running a little rich when cold. It's a big killer and plus the winter gas mix

burgett2103
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
^yeah very true, didn't even think about that. I think all is well, but the air filter and all that needs a good cleaning (or I just need to get the CAI on).

Thanks guys