New pull/drift [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New pull/drift

AuroraGuy
02-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Suddenly and for no apparent reason my 00 GAGT has started to pull to the left, and sometimes rather strongly.

But it gets wierd:

If I make a RIGHT turn, then the next road - it wont pull.
If I make a LEFT turn, then the next road - it pulls to the left.

In fact, If I stop and turn the wheel center to right..then to center (while stopped) and begin to drive - no pull.
If I stop and turn the wheel center to left..then to center (while stopped) and begin to drive - she will pull.

If I turn the wheel stop-to-stop, I hear a slight clunk, but not sure if thats NEW or not as I don't normally do that.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Could I have a loose set of upper strut bolts or something?

;crap

WidbyJ
02-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Bad ball joint

AuroraGuy
02-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Any easy way to check/tell without taking it into a service shop?

WidbyJ
02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Jack up the car at the left front to relieve the weight on the joint and then you can grab the tire/wheel at the bottom and try to move it back/forth in/out. Many times it will 'clunk' as it goes from one side to another. Sometimes you can get very temporary relief by injecting more grease...

AuroraGuy
02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Ok. So I did this. Cant find anything loose or wrong. The rack looks great too.
So then I had my wife turn the wheel stop-to-stop while I looked for the "clunk".

..its a broken driver side spring on the strut.
I am sure I can buy a new spring/strut assembly and swap it out. That doesnt look all that involved.

Seems 3 nuts on the top and 2 large bolts on the bottom...

Any suggestions on where to get these parts (I will replace both fronts) cheap?

westerndragon
02-16-2012, 07:48 AM
ouch if you snapped a spring make sure the mount is still good and you should be able to find a strut assembly at any parts place for 70-85$

AuroraGuy
02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
It looks like the spring broke away from the upper bearing plate.

I have purchased Monroe Quick-Strut units. They come fully assembled with all needed parts and just 'pop' right in.

$172 each at Advanced Auto, but buy online with a coupon code and it brings them down
to $122 each.

I have done this before (in a past life?) and recall it being rather straight forward.
At least I dont need to deal with compressing and handling a spring!

WidbyJ
02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Bravo! You have made the best choice for the situation. If you've ever done struts before you'll find these quite easy to do, just may need some good 'cheater' leverage. Of course you know that an alignment will be required....

AuroraGuy
02-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Bravo! You have made the best choice for the situation. If you've ever done struts before you'll find these quite easy to do, just may need some good 'cheater' leverage. Of course you know that an alignment will be required....

Yea...an alignment. Last time I did this, I marked the unit mount points and tossed the new ones in virtually like the old ones and didnt have the car aligned.

It didnt pull and the tires didnt wear funny. I got lucky.

Prolly not this time...