Brake Lines [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines

jd99gagt
02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
My brake lines have corroded pretty bad right around under the left rear quarter area of my GA. I soaked them up pretty good in some undercoating hoping it would help them last up a little longer, given the salty **** they soak the roads in all over New England in the winter. Anyone have a clue as to how much a shop would charge to replace brake lines. I heard it would be up there. Also, right behind the rear bumper the frame has started to rust and chip pretty good, I don't think it will really affect anything by the looks of it. Any solutions besides soaking it in rust converter and coating it with undercoat?

G.I.Ceo
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
My brake lines have corroded pretty bad right around under the left rear quarter area of my GA. I soaked them up pretty good in some undercoating hoping it would help them last up a little longer, given the salty **** they soak the roads in all over New England in the winter. Anyone have a clue as to how much a shop would charge to replace brake lines. I heard it would be up there. Also, right behind the rear bumper the frame has started to rust and chip pretty good, I don't think it will really affect anything by the looks of it. Any solutions besides soaking it in rust converter and coating it with undercoat?

I bought Goodridge SS brake lines off of Amazon and had them installed for less then $200. The lines are a little over $100 and the installation ran me about $60.

AaronGTR
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I bought Goodridge SS brake lines off of Amazon and had them installed for less then $200. The lines are a little over $100 and the installation ran me about $60.

He's talking about the hard lines that run under the car. Not the flexible rubber lines. ;)

No idea what a shop would charge to replace the lines. The lines themselves should be pretty cheap. The labor would be a little more. They shouldn't be hard to replace though. It really just depends on which lines and how much they might have to remove to get them in/out.

sleepyalero
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
if you could i would tackle the job myself first, just buy some brake line from an auto store and a brake line bender to make it all fit snug, i had to do it on a 92 ranger. it wasnt that hard, just had to get the bends in the line right.

jd99gagt
05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
there's a website i found and you can send them out and they'll pre bend them for you

Malaclypse
05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Only problem with doing it yourself is you're going to need a flaring kit to flare the line for your fittings.

Flaring brake tubing can be a total PITA and hard to do properly.

_HeC_
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
^so true, i hate doing them and will only do them for my personal cars if i have to and not others that i fix

clamping the flaring tool on a bench vice really helps for a nice flare IMO, i try not to use the flaring tool on the vehicle whenever possible

i think i get to do rear lines on a new GAGT im getting....