HID's [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID's

Pridemore54
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I am still looking at HID's and my father told me that because of the bulb type on my car getting these would eliminate having a bright setting. Is this true or am I that lucky? rarely is he wrong about these things.

Appreciate any help.

Smithkid21
02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
IIRC You can buy the 9007 Hi/Low HID Kits, but they do cost a little extra.

EDIT: Yup, you can. Here's a good place to get them: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

Pridemore54
02-19-2012, 12:01 PM
That's what my dad put on his truck. Thanks, maybe now i can see at night

Jer23
02-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey, Do you need any other parts for this to work on the grand slam? Just the ballast, bulbs etc...

Thanks.

Smithkid21
02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I'd recommend getting the wiring harness too. Makes it alot easier on life.

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
grand slam? lol gotta love auto correct...

HID's are frickin awesome dont get me wrong i buy a set for every vehicle i hav to drive. but it seems like the cheaper HID kits are just that, cheap. i bought mine for $37 and i had a ballast go out and cause all sorts of issues. even after replacing BOTH ballasts im still having issues when transitioning from low to high beam and back to low. when i take my highs off the headlights just turn completely off and leave only the fogs on. sometimes its just a split second sometimes its for a good couple minutes. i recommend spending the extra dollar or two to get a nicer, more real HID set.

Jer23
02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=KillNThrill24;1172172]grand slam? lol gotta love auto correct...

No auto correct. I call both my GT's "the grand slams".

jhubbz
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I am still looking at HID's and my father told me that because of the bulb type on my car getting these would eliminate having a bright setting. Is this true or am I that lucky? rarely is he wrong about these things.

Appreciate any help.

Actually, true HID set-ups are D2S usually. Adaptations have been made to 9006 (low beam only) and 9007 (hi/lo), and they all work great.

Since HID's can only run in full on position, they cannot create a true hi/lo setting. The thing about hi/lo HID's is they only move in position, they do not truly create a low and high effect, they simply just move the light a little bit.

What you can do, is get a bixenon projector set-up, that way you can have the HID running at full light when you have your highs on and when your lows are on, the projector puts up a small blockade so not as much light is emitted.