Ported intake manifolds [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ported intake manifolds

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
even tho my car may not be the prettiest of cars on the road, i sure do love it. its sittin at 187xxx right now and im thinking about maybe rebuilding part/all of the motor from the heads up. maybe pick up a newer block maybe not, dont really know yet just trying to get some ideas.

iv been looking on WOT-Tech and they hav those comp ported upper and lowers that iv been looking at. my question is what kind of power gains are we looking at from adding them? how much power do you usually see out of a done up NA engine? im not going the turbo route way too much time and money i just want to get the most power i can out of the motor. any ideas? suggestions?

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM
btw i will pick up manifolds from the local JY to send in rather than sending mine in. i wont pick up cracked ones or anything like that lol i just need to keep this thing on the road as much as possible

MAC the KNIFE
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
be sure to get the ported 2000+ style upper. the 99 style has a grotesque restriction. the only catch to that is you've got to change to a 2000 style EGR too.

i noticed some problems with the 2000 style egr, so i blocked it off, and turned it off in the car's computer so i dont have any check engine lights, and i'm a happy camper.

the only mods i have are the intake manifolds, cai, and borla exhaust. i dont know of anyone that's dyno'd with just that level of mods, but i think around 10 extra hp.
its made a noticeable difference above 3000 rpm!

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks Mac yeah I was reading that about the restrictions on the 99 model that they of course fixed for 00 lol. Which is why I would pick up manifolds off a 00+ to send in. I personally don't see a useful purpose for the egr so I too would block it off then disable it. did you send your PCM in to hav it set or did you do it yourself?

Pretty much I decided today rather than selling or scrapping my turd I'm going to fix it and make it better. Cuz at least with MY turd I know what's wrong with it. I go to buy another car I then have higher insurance since it would be newer, car payments, and more problems that I wouldn't know about. So if your saying you notice a difference at 3k... Which I spend alot of time at lol I'm all for it

MAC the KNIFE
02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
AaronGTR has a tuning program, HPtuners or the other one, he did it for me, but it is now turned off inside the car's computer. friends with skills and tuning devices are the best ones.

also, i saw Aaron and a few others do this trick; filled the port going to the EGR with jb-weld, and even made a nice smooth surface for zero airflow turbulance. it was easy to do. i cut the corner out of a ziplock baggie, mixed the jbweld and poured it in the baggie, then acted like a cake decorator and just squeezed the jbweld into the egr port.

...and i said ABOVE 3000rpm. not AT ! lol

AaronGTR
02-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Have an upper for sale right now. No core needed. ;) http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1170237&postcount=15 The EGR is already blocked off, and it's painted too.

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Well yeah I kinda meant above lol I don't SIT at 3000 I go above it alot. I hav a very bad lead foot runs in the blood haha....

But tuners, I kinda thought they might be able to. I don't hav one yet but maybe they're worth the $300 ha. It's either that or send the PCM in, which I know thats not cheap either so I'll prob hav to pick up a tuner. Are they usable on more than one car or do they store only one car on them? Iv never used one before. And yeah for filling it in, that'd be a good idea I'll hav to keep that in mind if I do ever get the manifolds.

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Aaron how much shipped to 44017??

AaronGTR
02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Shipping would be about $20 to that zip. I'd do $80 shipped. For the EGR you can drive it without turning it off in the PCM and it will run, but you will get a SES light until the PCM is tuned for it.

I have a DHP power tuner that I did mine and Macs with. DHP isn't around any more and the last version of the software they released was open for all models they supported. So if you picked up a used one you'd be able to tune most GM cars from about 1996-2004 or 2005 maybe that have 60 degree and 90 degree V6's in them. IE 3100, 3400, 3800, grand ams, grand prixs, and a bunch of other things. Most but not all fwd models. It older software though to so it only works with computers running windows XP.

I don't know how everything works with HP tuners, but they are still around so you can still get customer support, and they should run on newer operating systems. I believe they support most 3800 platforms and some 3400, and you can also get LS1 cars and maybe some other V8 platforms. Only thing is I'm pretty sure you only get one license with the tuner purchase and then each additional car you want to tune you have to buy an extra license for. So it really depends on what cars you plan on tuning with it and if you want/need customer support.

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Wow so sounds like if I pick one up I can tune both my grand am AND my Camaro.. I def need to look into one.

And dude I just checked I hav $17 in my acct right now and obviously banks are closed so I'll deposit some money in and we'll go from there. Iv never bought via threads before no idea how it works lol but I want it for sure, especially since I want the whole black/red thing. You said in the description the porting matches the sportsman right? And yeah I drove around with no egr for awhile, I don't remember if you recall me posting about it lol, but I had major idle issues with it so I would probably wait till I got it tuned

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm assuming paypal tho

lone_wolf025
02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
With ported upper, lower, headers, exhaust, CAI and a decent tune you can see enough power to pull 14.8 or better (depending on elevation and other factors) on the quarter. My car is a beater these days especially since its rusting out by the gas door, but it still drives better than my wife's N/A Mazda 3.

HOYS
02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
A decent ported intake set would gain you around 10 HP by itself.

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 09:12 PM
With ported upper, lower, headers, exhaust, CAI and a decent tune you can see enough power to pull 14.8 or better (depending on elevation and other factors) on the quarter. My car is a beater these days especially since its rusting out by the gas door, but it still drives better than my wife's N/A Mazda 3.

mine is a beater too, but i plan on changing that since i really like it and automotive is just my thing. plan on going to school soon for it. so to hear that is awesome. i have the CAI already but nothing else. its all bone stock. was gonna go with a pace setter header/exhaust combo. i looove borla but the price just steers me away. atm, its like almost worth the car... but like yours, except almost bone stock, it runs like a scolded ape! i swear the 7.6 for the 0-60 as posted on zeroto60times.com is off. iv never taken exact measurement of time but its def not almost 8.

KillNThrill24
02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
A decent ported intake set would gain you around 10 HP by itself.

yeah im looking to hit the 200 mark before all is said and done. with 10 from ported intakes alone, some heads, headers and an exhaust, as well as my CAI, i should be able to hit that mark

AaronGTR
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah, stock is 142-144whp and I've seen people hit 165whp with just a CAI, exhaust, and tuned PCM. Add headers to that and I've seen around 180whp. Another 5hp for a high flow cat. Ported heads and manifolds, and a bigger TB would probably get you close to 200whp, as long as the PCM is re-tuned properly for them. A cam would be needed to push you over that for sure.

KillNThrill24
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
those are literally all the things i want to do before i call the project complete. i have the CAI already, and now a ported upper intake on the way :) so its a decent start. ill probably pick up the lower intake manifold and the TB next that way i can put those all on and see what happens. following those might be heads, that or exhaust not entirely sure yet. my exhaust DOES have a crack right before the muffler tho so im thinking probably exhaust. was going to get pace setter but im thinking since i really plan on keeping this car a while might as well just spend the extra $4-500 and get a borla lol.

and with 200, maybe a little over, to the wheels, i should be able to keep it steady driving down the road. thats a big deal for me since my GA is my dd.