rebuild or buy used. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rebuild or buy used.

akeemjvasser
02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
So at first, i found an engine for 350, 28,000 miles on it. went to buy it and its now gone b4 i could make the purchase. now i find another engine 26,000 miles on it, but for 900. should i buy that engine or rebuild my engine currently having 147,000.

sleepyalero
02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
its really up to you on that i would think..

tw0123
02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
what is wrong with your current engine? depends on how far down you have to tear things apart on which would be the best route... if you have the tools a swap might be easier, but at the same time, if you want some performance, a rebuild would give you that opportunity as well...

akeemjvasser
02-21-2012, 09:47 PM
honestly i believe my engine is in great shape. its just the high mileage that scares me. i would like to just do a top swap and be done with it for the moment. im just a lil shook up about upgrading an older engine.

BJPbrandon2448
02-21-2012, 10:18 PM
go 3500 or go home?

sleepyalero
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
i would do whatever is easiest and mosy affordable. say keep your motor, and just save a little and start building it little by little. or how ever.

KillNThrill24
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
^i second that. my motor has 187501 as of 5mins ago and its still kicking strong. so im keeping the motor and just building it from the ground up. i plan on going to the JY and pullin a 3400 to use as my core engine so i dont have to have my GAGT off the road for very long, and that way i dont have to replace the gaskets every time i pull it apart :p

idk how your yard works but i live by a Pull-A-Part and they charge $129 i believe for a 6cyl engine with a $22 core charge. so it would be about $160ish with tax for an engine i can use for all the core pieces. its a win win if you ask me.

def rebuild tho, its actually kind of fun IMO. if your just looking for a quick fix tho nothing wrong with picking up a 26k engine... ive never even DRIVEN a vehicle with that low mileage i dont think lol...

akeemjvasser
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
^i second that. my motor has 187501 as of 5mins ago and its still kicking strong. so im keeping the motor and just building it from the ground up. i plan on going to the JY and pullin a 3400 to use as my core engine so i dont have to have my GAGT off the road for very long, and that way i dont have to replace the gaskets every time i pull it apart :p

idk how your yard works but i live by a Pull-A-Part and they charge $129 i believe for a 6cyl engine with a $22 core charge. so it would be about $160ish with tax for an engine i can use for all the core pieces. its a win win if you ask me.

def rebuild tho, its actually kind of fun IMO. if your just looking for a quick fix tho nothing wrong with picking up a 26k engine... ive never even DRIVEN a vehicle with that low mileage i dont think lol...

yeah i never seen a car with mileage lower than 100,000. so i was like should i be the first? but you i think im going to take it to a shop tomorrow and get the engine scoped. if the print out reads that my engine is in good shape, then ill start rebuilding, first step will be a top swap thoe!!!!

KillNThrill24
02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
well if it comes back your engine is getting... old, and you hav the money, i personally would pick up that 26k and build that sucker up. so it would be a like-new engine, with mods.

sounds to me like your goin for the 3500 top swap? i havent looked into it much, but from what iv read from other users its a very effective upgrade. get to work bro! lol

drakesrevenge
02-25-2012, 11:38 PM
why do you need to rebuild? what's wrong with your current engine? have a little faith in your current engine. i have a 2001 gagt1 that is getting ready to roll over on 330000 miles and the only thing i've done to the engine is change out the lower and upper intake manifold seals, put in new pushrods a couple of years ago and replaced my heads because mine cracked due to engine overheating a few years ago. besides the normal maintenence of changing thermostats, oil, sparkplugs----preventative maintenence is the best key to making your engine last. unless you got a bad one! just changed out my catalytic converter this week and is looking like i'm getting back up to 25+ mpg on the highway. it got down to about 20mpg when i had a clogged cat. good luck!

akeemjvasser
03-01-2012, 11:07 PM
sorry im responding so late been on vacation. but yes as of right now nothings wrong with the engine at the moment. i guess its just the high mileage that spooks me. im the one that gets pissed for five months if my car just happens to break down on the highway. so i figured lower mileage lesser chance of faults. but the llx9 top swaps seems extremely fun and better for the engine. then get a reprogrammed pcm a new cat and new exhaust, i think ill fall in love with my car all over again.

doc.nelson24
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I had a 97 GP with 234000 on it when it was totaled, the only major problem was the trans die at 180k. Still ran strong, insurance would fix it due to milelage. Had an 02 Aztek with about 224k on it. Had to replace the head and lower intake gaskets. Pistons were still tight, and cyclender walls looked good, cleaned the oil pump screen, everingthing on the bottom side looked good.

Otherwise just routine maint on both. Infact when the insurance man came to look at the GP he asked me how I got somany miles. I replied with routine maint.

If the car is running good and you do you're routnine maintenance I wouldn't worry too much about the milage.