1999 pontiac grandam excessively high idling??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1999 pontiac grandam excessively high idling???

cherryred
02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
:banghead i have a 1999 Pontiac grandam SE 3400 v6 she has several things wrong with her first off i only drove it 2 days and it ran fine
last weekend was cold checked the antifreeze because i just got the car and it was empty so got antifreeze to put in it and it was full?? it wouldn't stay running then either it'd turn over run a few secs shut off then.. it finally starts one day and i let it run bout 20 min to warm up while i got my kids ready and went to pull out of my drive way and i notice smoke coming from the dash vent ( just smoke didn't leave any greasy whiteness on my window) so i pulled back in my drive way and noticed an excessive amount of antifreeze under my car ( floor on passenger side is also dry) . mechanic said possibly heater core then when he came looked at it car still got heat good but still over heated and the antifreeze reservoir overflow was squirting out antifreeze smoking hot.. so we changed the thermostat and the old one looked fine (changed it going from top side of car) moving the throttle cable) well then we did the spark plugs and after that now when the car is started it starts idling excessively high possible throttle cable sticking the throttle cable are lose and the motor accelerator lever moves freely upon pushing.. so my question is

why is the car over heating possible heater core flushing may help?? and why is it idling so high it doesnt slow down if anything it goes higher ;crap;crap;crap;crap

:redga:

sleepyalero
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
ahh why is it all in purple! id do a coolant flush. new thermostat... maybe there is air in the system?

check all intake plugs for the high idle. tps unplugged will cause high idle.

KillNThrill24
02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
agreed why is it in purple sooo hard to read lol.

yupp check the thermostat its probably the culprit in the equation. mine used to over heat daily for years, i eventually got tired of it and unplugged my radiator fans and installed manual switches on the dash that i used to turn them on and cool the engine. then i did the head gaskets.... havent had an overheating issue since...

cherryred
02-22-2012, 12:23 AM
sorry bout the purple i tried changing the color but it didnt change when i posted and as for the thermostat a new one was put on but the old one that had came off wasnt sticking when we took it out it almost looked new itself but a new better one was put on but havent been able to get the idling down enough for it to warm up to see if its still over heating

cherryred
02-22-2012, 06:59 AM
is it possible my computer needs reset? after all the plugs was unplugged and the car has a anti theft lock thing?

KillNThrill24
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
My car had that excessively high idling when I first got it, about 5yrs ago lol.. I can't remember for the life of me what was causing it tho. Check all your vacuum lines I know we had to replace all of those on mine. Also check to make sure your throttle isn't sticking. Ill see if I can find out what the hell was wrong with mine and let you know so you can check that. Is it bad enough that it's just easier to shut the car off at a red light cuz when you let off the brakes it shoots off like a rocket? Mine was lol

cherryred
02-22-2012, 10:36 AM
i havent attempted to drive it lol afraid to cuz its pulled up to the house and id rather not go through the house lol as far as i can tell the throttle isnt sticking tho but i have no clue

cherryred
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
got 1 problem solved when the gasket was put back on from the butterfly thing it was put on back wards .. and as for the over heating my alternator the bolt going through the belt assembly area was missing (the long bolt that hold the alterntor up so the belt dont rub) on the down side i know it needs an oil change and the mechanic said there wasnt much oil in my motor and if the oil change with the lucas stuff doesnt help .then im guna need a new motor which is no good....

KillNThrill24
02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
i havent been able to find out what was wrong with mine, spent too long at work today to talk to the old man. but the missing alternator belt REALLY caused overheating? that just, doesnt even make sense lol maybe it does maybe it doesnt. but yeah anytime you put a gasket on backwards your always gonna have some sort of problem down the road. if your taking your car to a shop be careful because they will target people who dont know a whole hell of a lot about cars and squeeze every penny possible out of them. i know someone who took their car in for a simple oil change and the shop told them their brakes were bad.. when they had JUST been replaced not 2k mi before...

GL with the car tho hopefully its nothing major.

PS: the colored text is really hard to read lol

cherryred
02-23-2012, 09:48 PM
well my alternator botls dont line up to put all 3 bolts in it if ur belt drive is off by a little it doesnt move enough for the water pump to function properly i did get it started today and it still over heated :/ so maybe it needs flushed im not positive gotta find a alternator thats guna line up right and re try it

cherryred
02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
does anyone know how many miles it takes to reset the computer ?? i had to undo the battery cables and now i need to pass emissions and need to know how many miles i need to drive it to fully reset it :)

burgett2103
02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I had excessive high idling... happened at drag strip one night. Never actually found the culprit, but i replaced IAC, TPS, tried a new MAF but that didn't fix so I returned it. After i put my stock throttle body back in problem was fixed... so try those options at least.