How to pull a 3400? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to pull a 3400?

KillNThrill24
02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
well, its about time i go pick up another engine. for those of you who dont know my plan is to pull a 3400 from the local JY to use as my core engine (as long as its in decent condition, i dont want too much of a hunk of junk) and well iv never pulled an engine. my old man will be going with me, and hes pulled many engines in his days of prime so he'll have the basic idea of how to. but if anybody can tell me exactly what needs to be removed/disconnected that'd be sweet and save me a bunch of time!

the price of the engine with tax will be about $160. like i said i only plan on using it for a core (meaning any parts i buy ill use this to send in for the core). i want to get everything ready and mocked up on this block before i pull mine out and build it up on my block. it isnt going to be a 3 day or even 3 week project its gonna take some time. i just need to get started so i can get it done sooner! that being said, i cant afford to hav my GA down for that amount of time. 1: ill miss driving it lol 2: its my DD i kinda NEED it :p

any insight, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated!

sleepyalero
02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
if your going to the junk yard.. and this is a "project" engine then i wouldnt worry about unplugging anything. leave everything plugged in, cut all the wires to everything, un bolt all mounts, and you got yourself a motor/trans. also gotta remove axles in the front if your wanting both motor and tranny together. theres probably a little more to it, and im sure someone will key in.

reason i say cut all the wires is whats it matter? your not taking the wiring harness im sure cause youll just drop it in your grand am anyway. but you can leave all the plugs in and it will be easy to help you identify where all your plugs go when you drop that motor in.

i might have read wrong.. but i think im ok? lol

KillNThrill24
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
nope you read right. i really dont care about any electronics off of it.. i dont think. the only thing is mine is a 99 and i want a 00+ so i dont know if theres anything other than the egr thats different. if not then i guess a 99 wouldnt kill me but idk i just want a newer engine lol ill have to examine the cars to see if i can get an idea as to how they were treated and go from there.

yeah i was thinking axles for sure. im not sure if im gonna take the tranny... although mine DOES have almost 188k on it and it has started slipping in the 5-5500rpm range. it jumps to 6000 before it shifts and during that transition from 5000 or 5500 to 6000 it feels like the car is in neutral, so im assuming thats tranny slipping? no idea how much it costs to rebuild one tho, been afraid to look.

but your right i wont take the wire harness, everything is pretty much the same as far as i know between the years so that will def save some time. thanks for the input!

sleepyalero
02-24-2012, 12:01 AM
im almost positive the egr is the only difference but there is a small chance i could be wrong.

i'd probably just leave the transmission behind... and once you have the motor built do like a 4T65HD swap as well or whatever you might have in mind. your transmission now sounds like its slipping just a bit. i had my transmission rebuilt for 900$ by one of my buddies friends that owns a transmission shop and he just did it at his house. took 5 days because he had to juggle work and my car everyday. but for a rebuild your looking at around the 1400$ area, atleast here in indy thats what it was priced around for mine. so yeah its a bit expensive. ;)

and no problem!

also: even if some of the parts on the motor isnt in the best shape, im sure it wont be a big deal, like if there was something wrong with the uim it wouldnt really matter, you could just buy a ported one, and im sure you will most likely be upgrading the internals a bit?

KillNThrill24
02-24-2012, 03:25 PM
yupp yupp i was looking into that 4t65hd upgrade. but i was ALSO looking at the 6 speed f40 and that my friend def caught my attention. im not entirely certain i want to drop all that money on a tranny but if i do i figure might as well go all out and get the 6 speed which iv always wished that these cars came in manual. they would be so much more fun IMO.

but for now im probably gonna look around for tranny rebuilds, im not sure of any places around here but i do live in a suburb off cleveland and as far as i know cleveland has places that do that kind of work.

and yeah im not terribly concerned with the everything being in tip top shape, i just dont want to be that guy that sends in junk for core parts lol

as for the internals im thinking of doing pistons if i can swing it, which i would also do a cam, then maybe some stage 2 heads maybe 3 idk yet just kind of looking around to see what i can see. then of course if i do heads ill get hardened push rods, im fairly certain the heads come with all the hardware like valve springs etc. not sure the exact route i want to go right now. i just like looking around getting ideas while i pick up a few parts here a few parts there

sleepyalero
02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
speaking of F40 ill have mine here in a couple weeks, and ill have a thread about it for sure, maybe it will convince you to get one. ;)

it shouldn't be to hard to find a place to do it, just make sure they are legit and know what they are doing. i understand not wanting to send in junk core parts, but if the junk yards have nothing but junk you might not have a choice! lol and thats a nice build you got goin so far. i like the idea. also think about UIM/LIM and a 65mm TB, maybe an egr delete and some other things as well. :D

KillNThrill24
02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
im guessing you bought from Milzy? as far as i saw he looks like the only one who carries them. but i mean, for like $4k for a BRAND NEW tranny with all the hardware needed to convert.. its a steal really. if i can save enough i just may have to do it, its hard tho cuz im the kind of person that i save up a grand then get tired of saving and go blow half of it or more lol lol

but true true junk yards carry just that, JUNK. i just have to look at all the 3400's they have and go from there. which may take a while because there are tons of them ha.

i forgot to mention im doing the manifolds too, in fact, i just bought the ported UIM off Aaron and its on its way :D hes already got the EGR blocked off on it, its ported, and opened up for the 65! im psyched, it was the motivation i needed to go through with this. i went and picked up an engine stand last night from harbor freight (yeah its a junk store really, but for an engine stand i figure why not?)

i just hope my funds will allow me to do everything i want! lol

sleepyalero
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
yeah i bought it from Milzy. and yeah they are the only ones who carry the swap. and i think its a good deal too, options of stage 2, stage 3, or dual mass clutch.. there own custom made mounts.. axles.. shifter, cables. just the whole deal lol i think its reasonable price for everything.

i have trouble saving money sometimes too, i always want this and that for my car, soon enough ill have the car the way i want. :p just keep telling yourself... no.. 6 speed.. lol the junk yard i go to usually has around 10 aleros, and maybe 10 or less Ga's. ive only had to get two things from a junk yard for my car, window motor/regulator and a fuse panel cover, both in very good/like new condition. oh and a couple of iat sensors but other then that i havent really had to pick up anything. but they usually pull the motors out of the car if they are good and keep them under a roof behind the place. saves people time pulling a motor.

your on the right track, do you have HPT? your going to have to tune out the egr, im also getting my egr deleted when i get my 6 speed, also getting there modified heater tube, and its being powder coated blue. :D and hey as long as the engine stand holds the engine it doesnt really matter. how much did you pay for the stand?

they will allow you to as long as you save. ;)

KillNThrill24
02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
i kinda thought they were the only ones... but yeah glad to see you agree with the price lol cuz with everything it comes with, and being new, thats a hella good deal!

and yeah haha i do that too when it comes to money i say no i need to spend it on something more important.. my ride! but sometimes i just impulsively buy stupid stuff like anything made by under armour... man that sheits expensive.. or if i take the lady friend out i feel obligated to spend spend spend. i had $1100 just chillin on a shelf in my room and i have about $100 left :( lol

noooo sir i do not hav a tuner yet! after talking to Aaron and Mac tho i def need to pick one up for myself. from what Aaron said if i get the one tuner i can also do my camaro which is win win in my book. because i know the EGR has to be turned off electronically, when i replaced my head gaskets i left it off and jerry rigged the UIM and downpipe to not allow it to function and my car had the WORST idle issues, not to mention the SES light came on. my heater tube is shot my old man and i used a piece of rubber hose and a hose clamp on the 90 degree on it because it sprung a pin sized hole and was leaking coolant everywhere, so ill end up getting one too. im going the red/black route so leaving that black will be fine since my valve covers are red already and the UIM on its way is black with polished 3400 and red SFI.. looks sweet in the pics.

and i got the stand for $60 plus tax so about $64ish. all in all not a bad price.

yeah, i gotta stop spending so much. but after blowing that grand on... i really cant even say as to what lol im pretty much done spending on stupid stuff and am onto spending on IMPORTANT things

shiwnath
02-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Fuel injectors on the 99 are boshe style fuel injectors. 00+ are Multec 2 style. That's one thing you might want to look into as well.

sleepyalero
02-24-2012, 11:51 PM
good deal for sure. and lady friends can become expensive. lol been through that many times. HPT im pretty sure you can tune your camaro too. my thought was red too, but i just like the blue and black really well. people call my UIM a bowling ball because its painted with anodized blue and looks really sweet in my opinion lol.

60 bucks isnt bad at all! i got one near here ill have to get me one sometime... along with a cherry picker. :D

"important things" here means the car. lol my car is very important to me. and i clean it ALL the time, its never dirty. lol always have to have her clean.

i never mean to put so many smilies it just happens..

KillNThrill24
02-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Fuel injectors on the 99 are boshe style fuel injectors. 00+ are Multec 2 style. That's one thing you might want to look into as well.

good call on that i actually forgot! is there a place where they all plug in or will i have to strip and reconnect wires? at which point i think itd just be easier to pick up one of those conversion kits..

good deal for sure. and lady friends can become expensive. lol been through that many times. HPT im pretty sure you can tune your camaro too. my thought was red too, but i just like the blue and black really well. people call my UIM a bowling ball because its painted with anodized blue and looks really sweet in my opinion lol.

60 bucks isnt bad at all! i got one near here ill have to get me one sometime... along with a cherry picker. :D

"important things" here means the car. lol my car is very important to me. and i clean it ALL the time, its never dirty. lol always have to have her clean.

i never mean to put so many smilies it just happens..

hey as long as you like it it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, even if it does look like a bowiling ball lol. yeah im gonna need a tuner before this whole project is complete so ill probably end up picking one of those up.

and i was gonna get a cherry picker but because i burned all my money i didnt have enough to buy the stand and hoist and still be able to pay my bills lol

my car is important to me too however it is NEVER clean lol not because i dont want to its just because i live in cleveland.. with crappy cleveland weather that changes every 10mins ha. plus my GT molding is off my doors because they were hitting the fenders and causing bad binding, so i hav to have the time to CAREFULLY remove all the gunk left on the door from the molding. then pick up new molding because mine is somehow broken. not from me removing it, it broke while on the car lol i have no clue how it even happened. like theres literally a chunk missing from the drivers side, if you look at my avatar/profile pic and look towards the fender you can see where that chunk is gone from the molding ha.

its cool i use smileys too :D

sleepyalero
02-25-2012, 03:42 PM
how much were cherry pickers at harbor frieght if they had any?

yeah the weather here in indy changes alot too, 20-30 degree one day.... then 50's the next, and back down to 20-30's... STUPID. im just reeady for summer. lol ill be in your state on march 9th for my 6 speed. hopefully the weather is nice then. ;)

i cant really tell in your avi, its to small haha.

KillNThrill24
02-25-2012, 09:46 PM
$169 i believe. not a bad deal either, i just simply didnt have that much on me.

yeah if your going to Milzys youll be about 4 hours from where im located lol but usually southern ohio has better weather than northern. usually..

sleepyalero
02-26-2012, 01:34 AM
not bad at all. ill have to get one. lol

yeah its no big deal as long as theres no random damaging storms haha