Need some help/ advice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help/ advice

JeepJunky33
02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
So i need some help. I have been building my buddies 99 Grand Am GT 3400 since about 2002. Making it faster stronger and better than ever. Just 2 month his wife needed the car for a while and ended up blowing the head gasket.

I believe in uprading NOT replacing. I have been looking into this 3800 supercharged V6 engine that came in the Grand Prix GTP. Is it possible to swap the enigine? Where do I find one?

If so how difficult? is there anything I need to know? Computers, trans , heavier suspension due to weight etc. Is it worth it for the power?

Help me out. OR if this is not an option what do you think I should do with it? (scrapping or giving it away is not an answer.

Really appriciaite any help of advice.
-Seth

psy7
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
o its possible if u are willing to put in the work and time to do the modifications needed to fit the motor and supercharger in the engine bay and u will most likely need a beefier transaxle in order to take the power

slw240sx
02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
it is a lot of work, you at minimum need the engine, trans, harness, PCM, Special PS lines, special AC lines, custom Mounts, special axles that are custom built, and a bunch of other little things.

The PCM will not interface with the stock cluster. most of the parts are available, i have helped Milzy Motorsports build them. You can email him and get a better idea of the overall list and cost, but its not cheap.

I dare suggest you just look at picking up a GTP and modding that. Fix the GA sell it and offset the cost of the GTP purchase, then put on some aftermarket parts and go 12's.

JeepJunky33
02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
The problem I am encountering is that the GA has sentimental value. What do you suggest I do to it then? Any supercharges or turbo kits for this engine (3400)?

Any comments would help.
What's on your dream list for a 99 Grand Am GT? Maybe I'll start there.

zukiracer19
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I just sold my turbo kit a few months ago. You're out of luck I don't think any members are selling any. You'll probably have to blow 4-5 g's on a milzy kit.

JeepJunky33
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Im going to look into this an an option thanks!

Nick-G
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Im going to look into this an an option thanks!

Turbo 3400 > 3800.

AaronGTR
02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
We hear this a lot here. Topic has been beat to death. :horse: lol

Basically... yes it has been done. No it's not worth it. The few that have done it, it's been difficult and expensive and involved a lot of custom work and wiring. For the amount of money you'd spend on it, you could simply upgrade the stock engine and trans and get the same or better results for less money.

Boost is nice to have, but it is also more difficult and expensive on these cars since they didn't come that way from the factory. No one makes an off the shelf SC or turbo kit really that you can just bolt on and go. A lot of modifications need to be made, including tuning and fuel upgrades which you often have to do yourself.

I really recommend just keeping it NA. It's a lot less work. There are two reputable vendors, Milzymotorsport and WOT-tech, who both sell ported heads, manifolds, and cam shafts. Those parts along with some headers and a bigger TB will get you over 200whp and should be plenty for a sporty daily driver while staying fairly dependable.

JeepJunky33
02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks so much aaron! Thats exactly the type of answer I was hoping for (informative and companies to speak with). Thanks so much. I agree Id like to stay NZ if thats what will work best. There is a time and place for every mod. Maybe this engine is not it for a SC or Turbo.

Thanks agian.

zukiracer19
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
This engine LOVES Boost. It's just maintenance, and an expensive build pretty much.

Nick-G
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Maybe this engine is not it for a SC or Turbo.

Most won't believe it but I could build a turbo kit for far less than the cost of a pretty basic N/A setup (Ported Heads, UIM, LIM, TB, Intake, and Exhaust) and make enough power to break your transmission and then some. ;)