Rust! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rust!

KillNThrill24
02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
so i was removing the gunk left behind from removing my GT molding from my doors because they were binding very badly with the fenders causing the driver fender to break off at the bottom and the passenger to be dented in rather badly, and my putty knife slipped towards the back of my passenger door and went right through the body... after knocking some more chunks out this is what i found...

this is the close up of it....
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30364&stc=1&d=1330373918

and this is what it looks like from farther away....
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30365&stc=1&d=1330373977

any ways to repair this? or am i just stuck with it?

sorry the pics are kinda small i thought for sure my iphone took larger pics..

EDIT: they are bigger i just downloaded the thumbnail lol if you need larger pix i can upload them

KillNThrill24
02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
id consider pretty much any way to fix this if its possible. im not very good with bondo tho but im sure with enough sanding its doable. any input would be greatly appreciated! i really dont want to have the whole body rot to s**t!

sleepyalero
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
look up POR-15 on google.

maybe some body filler?

KillNThrill24
02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
rust paint.. i like the sound of that. and yeah im thinking body filler too i just dont know how im gonna fill a hole that large. i saw that and my jaw dropped i mean its a 13yr old car, but it had rather minimal rust.. or so i thought

street_fire
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I had that too on my car too but not as bad as urs. I took my car to the body shop to fix that. When they were fixing that I got them to rip off that plastic weather strip ****. If u take the weather strip ull have Three 1'' holes. I had them to fill them in too.

KillNThrill24
02-27-2012, 09:12 PM
i must say i didnt even THINK to look down there for rust. it just so happened that my putty knife slipped and went through it.. so you recommending body filler as well?

PSKpsu
02-28-2012, 01:00 AM
You can't use bondo on that. Your going to need to patch that with metal. Body filler shouln't be thicker then about 3mm.

KillNThrill24
02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
i was afraid somebody would say that. im no welder nor do i know of any. and im sure as hell not gonna pay a shop to do it. maybe ill think of some creative way to attach it. maybe adhesive of some sort like jb weld then bondo over the whole area metal and all

1HOT SE
03-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Sand it / use a grinder wheel to get rid of all the rust you can first B4 u do anything. Right down to bare metal. Then use a primer.

STFDFireman
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
if youre going to end up using a body filler I would reccomend DuraGlass...its a fiberglass body filler that is a lot tougher than bondo usually and holds up really well if done right

afterdeath07
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
welding isnt that hard, see if you can rent one somewhere get some extra crap and burn a couple beads in a figure 8 and thats kinda that, in a basic one sentence explanation. use a hand grinder to clean it up, the bead isnt the structural part on a good weld then paint. only good way to repair it.

KillNThrill24
03-21-2012, 09:34 PM
i happened to have come across an arc welder just chilling in my moms friends business warehouse.. so i guess technically i have access to an arc welder lol not sure if it would work or if i need a tig.

i WAS thinking of just fiberglassing the bish and being done with it. guess it will all come down to money. if i pick up this WS6.. i prob wont do a whole lot with it. if i dont, im prob gonna go all out and do it up and make sure i dont have this problem again. my mother tried to make me get rid of it. i told her its like getting rid of a piece of me, she says yeah a really BAD piece of you lol i wont get rid of it. but since the weather has broke (knock on wood) im dd'ing my camaro so ill have time to park it in my garage, get it jacked up on all 4's.. and do some grinding, undercoating, and body filling to prep it for next winter. right now its just chillin in my storage unit havent driven it in about 2 weeks now, feels weird.

thanks for the input guys not sure the route ill take or when, since its sitting indoors right now, but eventually it will get fixed

afterdeath07
03-21-2012, 10:28 PM
would work easier wire feed mig or with flux core is easier to fill with, best of luck however it turns out, if you ever wanna sell it cheap pm me might be able to work something out, just to toss it out there lol

KillNThrill24
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
yeah im not too concerned in how it looks, just so long as the hole gets plugged lol

and no sir i will run this thing into the ground ;) haha

afterdeath07
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
yeah im not too concerned in how it looks, just so long as the hole gets plugged lol

and no sir i will run this thing into the ground ;) haha

good man