coolant and lig [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant and lig

2001gt
02-28-2012, 02:52 PM
ok gentlemen,(and ladies), heres a pic of what a class mate of mine found in my coolant reservoir. think i need a flush?? and do you think its time to do my lower intake gasket.

AaronGTR
02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
A flush and new coolant couldn't hurt. Especially if it's been in there 5 years or more. The intake gasket though... eh, maybe not. Just because there is gunk in the reservoir doesn't mean the gasket is bad. One of the things with the long life coolant is that it does develop a little bit of scum in places where it is exposed to air when it gets hot.

In other words, that could be normal if it's been in there a long time. Was that all that was in the reservoir was gunk? Or was there some normal coolant in there too? Or was it empty and only had some gunk in the bottom? If the reservoir was basically dry, but you haven't checked it in a long time, it could be normal burn off. Otherwise it could be a sign of a leak. First I'd check for external leaks, and puddles or spots under the car or on the engine block. And also check the underside of the oil cap for orangish/brown gunk, and check the oil on the dipstick for a milky/foamy appearance. Those could all be signs of an LIM gasket leak.

2001gt
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
no the level was fine. but judging by the look of the pic i figured it was still the original coolant from the mother gm factory. no leak problems so far in the 9 months ive had the car so. but ive had a lot of people asking me if my lower intake gaskets gone yet and have said no so im waiting for it haha

AaronGTR
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Hmm... well if you've only had the car 9 months, and it's a 2001... I would assume that they've already leaked once and been replaced! lol They usually go long before that. GM came out with a revised gasket in '03 I believe that also fixed some of the leaking issues (but not all). The Felpro premium gasket set is really the best for this engine as it is made of rubber coated stamped metal instead of plastic, and I've never had one leak on me.

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably only need a coolant flush, since the car is 11 years old. It's probably not been changed since if/when the LIM gasket was done last. I'd drain the coolant, fill it with clean water, run it, then drain it again. Then use a bottle of Prestone cooling system flush and follow the directions on the bottle. Fill it with water again and run it up to temp, allow to cool and drain the flushing agent. Fill with plain water, run again, drain again. Then it's ready for a refill with new 50/50 mix of water/coolant. :thumbs:

2001gt
02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
hooray!! thanks man haha

AaronGTR
02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd still check over the engine and the oil stuff just to be sure though. Better safe than sorry! ;)