Transmission question... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission question...

thesungiant
03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
So I bought my Grand Am very cheap per a mechanic for an uncle, and when I did he told me it would jerk quite hard because it was missing a transmission bracket. I've had it almost a year and have replaced a bit of stuff in it, but I'm not too mechanically inclined, and I don't want to pay a shop 200% of what it would actually cost to fix so I will shorten it to this...

Switching gears causing the car to jerk. I want to know how I should go about fixing it. Starting with a transmission bracket, I suppose, then going from there. Has anyone dealt with something similar or know more about it than me?

AaronGTR
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Well yeah... there are three mounts that hold the transmission, and only one on the actual engine. The trans mounts hold most of the weight. When the trans shifts into gear it gets loaded through the axles, and the entire tranny/engine will want to shift. If you are missing a bracket, it's going to shift a lot. First thing to do is replace that missing bracket. There is a front, side, and rear.

thesungiant
03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
How can I find out which one needs to be replaced?

AaronGTR
03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
You are going to have to get under the car and take a look at them. The front one you can see from above with the hood up. Side one, you can see it best if you take the driver side front wheel off. The rear one you can only see really well from underneath. It's just to the left side of the exhaust pipe.