Fans not kicking on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fans not kicking on

spatton1
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Just a quick question the cooling fans pretty much blow on the grand am not kicking on untill well over 200 correct? So in simple terms just get the fan switch mod. For those of you that have bought and installed it is it easy?

Thanks

sleepyalero
03-01-2012, 10:15 PM
i think its around 207 or so when the fans kick on. im sure wiring up a switch wouldnt be to hard.

spatton1
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah def past that. Still nothing replaced coolant temp sensor and notta. Im just gonna unplug the sensor till I get the mod. Unless someone wants to chime in and tell me thats a bad idea.

sleepyalero
03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
im sure a few people here have made a switch for there fans. or you can tune em with HPT
and have em kick on at a different temp.

Mike Jung
03-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Just a quick question the cooling fans pretty much blow on the grand am not kicking on untill well over 200 correct?...
The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106C (223F).
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi).
The vehicle is shut off when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 140C (284F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay ON for approximately 3 minutes.

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature reaches 110C (230F).
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi).
When certain DTCs set.
My GA was re-programmed for...

Low Speed Fans commands:
ON: 212F/100C
OFF: 207F/97C

High Speed Fans commands:
ON: 221F/105C
OFF: 216F/102C

KillNThrill24
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Mike thats a good idea i should look into reprogramming my fans as well. mine too, exceeded the 207 mark daily. it would get so hot i would hav to shut the dam car off to prevent it from overheating.. even with full defrost on.

i ended up making my own switches which is super simple to do. run the wires, hide the switch, and done. but then when i went to do my head gaskets and LIM gaskets i removed the fans and had left them out until about a week ago. ha it was "winter" it never went above 200.

but since changing the gaskets i havent had any overheating issues... and im the person that has blown up, literally, 3 coolant tanks. they exploded most likely from being over pressurized. im not sure if its a common issue when those gaskets go bad or not, but like i said since i did them i have not had any overheating issues. and yes i tried everything from new tanks, coolant flushes and multiple thermostats all to end up with the car still overheating. not sure if its the same with your car but just thought id tell you my story