Sunroof Exploded [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Exploded

ALindquist
03-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Driving down the highway going 85, nothing anywhere near me, when all of a sudden BOOM. my whole sunroof is shattered, with a 5/6 inch hole/crack running across the middle. Fast forward an hour, I get where I'm going a whole bunch of the glass has peeled off leaving a big hole now. So I pulled the rest of the glass off leaving a ~2 inch border at the edge, duct taped it and sealed it off with cardboard. Anyways, I'm kind of stuck as to what I should do next/where to look for a replacement pane. I'd like to avoid putting in a shop to save a little $$. If someone who maybe replaced their sunroof glass pane before, or did some work up there could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated,

KillNThrill24
03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
wow terrible luck man but my sunroof track broke on my GAGT and the route that i took was i went to the JY and managed to find a GA with a sunroof in it and the switch and everything. theyre simple to remove, really. take the headliner out (thats the hardest part, do your best to not bend it too much or it will break) then remove the 6 bolts holding the sunroof in. literally 3 on drivers side and 3 on passenger. i did mine by myself and put the new one in myself, but it wasnt so simple to do by myself. i had to hold the entire assembly up into the roof and bolt it in with the free hand. PITA. get someone to help you hold it in.

but thats going to be most likely the cheapest route. i picked up the entire assembly motor and all for $40.

MAC the KNIFE
03-03-2012, 06:33 AM
find the meteorite that broke the glass. sell the meteorite for a quick 10,000. buy new car.

dlineownzu4life
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
find the meteorite that broke the glass. sell the meteorite for a quick 10,000. buy new car.

:applause: Quotable.

KillNThrill24
03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
lol lol lol thats too funny!

ALindquist
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM

haha, thanks for the advice, I'll get right on that.

Ended up calling my local GM Parts lot, and they sold replacement panes for $100. Also talked to insurance company and I guess glass damage is covered on my policy, lucky me. So, I get a new free window (no deductible either) and I save myself $100. Lucky end to an unlucky situation.

fljohnboy
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
You're the 2nd person I heard this happen to. The first was me back in 1995. I was driving my new Camarao and my T top exploded. Sounded like a shotgun going off.