2004 Grand Am V6 - Cranks only for anout 1 second then stops cranking - wont start? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Grand Am V6 - Cranks only for anout 1 second then stops cranking - wont start?

anthonyvsatx
03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I have a 2004 Grand Am V6. When I turn the key to start, it cranks for about a second, then stops cranking. I swaped the starter relay with the fan relay (since they are exactly the same down to the part number on it. ), but it still did the samething. I then used a remote starter to crank the starter directly, and it cranks over like it should. With the key in the "ON" position and the remote starter, I am able to start the car. So, since the starter worked, and the relay didnt fix it, I decided to install a new ignition switch. It still does the same thing, but if I keep trying, it will sometimes crank over and start. Im confused... anyone have this problem before?

Anthony

tjodork
01-10-2016, 10:27 PM
I had the same issue .... I took it somewhere and the guy said that the PCM output was weak and could only drive the starter relay low for a few seconds.

I had issues with the security indicator coming on.... so I thought it might be that.
In the end, with the Berger Fix installed correctly => http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/ the security light is OFF, but the car still cranks for a few seconds.

the guy said, that i could replace the PCM ($500) or wire in a push button directly to the starter relay. I chose that option..which works most of the time.

I'm still wondering whether the computer could just be telling the starter relay output to go off after a couple of seconds..... if that is the case...what are ALL the reasons that the computer would turn off that starter relay after 2 seconds ?

How could I read the voltage off of the PCM? (He supposedly did) Is there a way to read with an OBD2 tester with some software whether the computer is turning on that signal ? Or to activate that signal? If I could activate it I could see if it craps out after 2 seconds.

Thanks for any help !!!
Tim

Madness10
01-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the group. Instead of posting to a dead 4 year old thread, you should post a new thread so it's easier for people to help you.

tjodork
01-11-2016, 10:20 AM
woops.... I will do that

sleepyalero
01-11-2016, 06:14 PM
You didnt know. Dont sweat it, just keep an eye on the dates that are posted above the username. That will tell you how old it is. :)

But sometimes its better to create a new thread, versus revive a dead thread.