EGR valve [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : EGR valve

street_fire
03-05-2012, 06:53 AM
My EGR valve needs to be replace but is worth replacing or do the EGR valve delete???

KillNThrill24
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM
i think Aaron summed it up best in a post of his

Thanks. There isn't much to be gained or lost by having the EGR in or out.

Positives:
-less carbon build up in the intake
-less heat in general and more space in the engine bay
-smoother air flow in the manifold neck
-no dilution of the intake charge

Negatives:
-slightly higher emissions
-may slightly affect gas mileage
-engine may run warmer at low throttle cruising (though most will never notice the difference since the car is moving)

It's basically an emissions control device. It never operates during warm up, idle, or WOT. It mostly opens during low-mid throttle conditions and dilutes the incoming air charge which reduces peak combustion temps and lowers levels of NOx emissions.

Most boosted people remove it mainly because you may loose some boost pressure if you start seeing boost by mid throttle and the EGR valve is still open. For me it was also a big PITA to work on the engine with the headers and SC kit and all the tubing and valve in place for the EGR system... so I took it out.

street_fire
03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
So ofher ways get rid of it lol. I must missed that thread opps :D

sleepyalero
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
i'd remove it honestly... im taking mine out.

KillNThrill24
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
all good, thats what other people are for ha. but yeah i agree with sleepy mine is going too. out that as. as far as i know it still functions

street_fire
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
So where can I get a egr delete kit for a 99 at???

MAC the KNIFE
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
So where can I get a egr delete kit for a 99 at???

it looks like wot-tech only has the 2000 style delete kit. maybe email him? you may be able to just fill the port full of "jb weld" but i cant remember if that'd work for a '99 or not. i replaced my 99 to a 2000 style and the egr port is different.

heck, a ported/polished 2000 style upper intake manifold isnt that expensive. what are you still driving with a 99 for? lol

sleepyalero
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
milzymotorsports.com

but you will also have to tune out the codes for the car to run right.

AaronGTR
03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
lol at people buying delete kits. You can make one yourself cheap. All you need is a couple bolts, a short piece of aluminum bar stock, and your old EGR gasket. Trace the gasket length and hole position onto the aluminum bar. Cut it to length with a hack saw and drill the holes out. Get a couple bolts from hardware store same thread as the EGR bolts but shorter. Bolt the plate to the manifold using the original gasket (if it's in good shape). Bam, EGR is deleted.

The harder part is turning it off in the PCM. All you people wanting to do this need to remember that there are a couple tables to change and DTC codes to deactivate to make this work. You better make sure you have access to a tuner or plan on getting a tuned PCM with that option before you do this. ;)

Honestly.... if it was me I'd just replace it. They aren't that expensive and you could probably even find one in a junk yard. Unless you are boosted, or doing a full NA race build... there is no real reason to delete this on a mildly built street car.

sleepyalero
03-05-2012, 11:53 PM
yeah, you can make them yourself too.

street_fire
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
The EGR valve is $193. Just seeing if I can save some money or just replace it.

So what's the big difference the 99' and the 00'+ UIM??? I know the egr is in a different spot.

Starglow
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
The EGR valve is $193. Just seeing if I can save some money or just replace it.

So what's the big difference the 99' and the 00'+ UIM??? I know the egr is in a different spot.

You can get one at the junk yard for much cheaper than new. On the '99, the EGR tube comes up under the bottom of the UIM into the EGR valve with the UIM sandwiched between them.

On the '00 & up, the EGR valve mounts to the side of the UIM and the EGR tube mounts on the rear of the EGR valve. The EGR tube design between the '99 & '00-up models is completely different.

street_fire
03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
You can get one at the junk yard for much cheaper than new. On the '99, the EGR tube comes up under the bottom of the UIM into the EGR valve with the UIM sandwiched between them.

On the '00 & up, the EGR valve mounts to the side of the UIM and the EGR tube mounts on the rear of the EGR valve. The EGR tube design between the '99 & '00-up models is completely different.

Ok thx. Which is better 99' or 00' and up??? Air Flow ways and ect???

AaronGTR
03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
The 2000 is better (obviously, hence why they changed it). The 2000+ UIM has a better neck design as well for better flow. You could probably go to a junk yard and see if you could get the entire 00+ setup with the UIM, EGR, and EGR tube.

street_fire
03-07-2012, 04:54 AM
The 2000 is better (obviously, hence why they changed it). The 2000+ UIM has a better neck design as well for better flow. You could probably go to a junk yard and see if you could get the entire 00+ setup with the UIM, EGR, and EGR tube.

lol thx Aaron.

PSKpsu
03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
For my EGR delete i just grabbed a thin piece of metal and some high temp silicone and put that between the EGR and the manifold. it works great and it still looks like i have mine lol

It cost me $0 since i already had all of that laying around in my garage lol

Eventually i'm going to put it back in to reduce NOx and make my cat last a little longer.

street_fire
03-08-2012, 10:36 AM
So yesterday I said **** it and just bought a new one lol