Battery Relocation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation

KillNThrill24
03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
i want to move my battery to my trunk to make hooking up amps easier, and just have that extra engine bay space. i pull my fans out all the time since they almost never work and its just a PITA with the battery in there. i have a good amount of Rockford 4g sittin around that i can use, plus a good car length or so of other 4g that just needs soldering. basically, how is it done? just connect the 4g to the battery cables and to the trunk? or do i need to do the big 3 upgrade (with 4g tho not 0g) and bring them to a point then to the back?

also, will it kill my starter quicker from having to draw the power a greater distance? its a new starter so im not too concerned about it, just good to know info

burgett2103
03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Your Rockford 4ga wire isn't going to make your car start while the battery is in the trunk (this happened to me without me even realizing it). You need actual power wire... Has the thick strands inside it instead of a million thin ones. You should also go with 0 or 2ga wire instead because of the longer distance your battery is away.

I had 2 batteries in the trunk of my old car and I'm telling you this so you do it right the first time unlike me.

AaronGTR
03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
^This. Buy some actual 0 awg or 1 awg battery cable from McMaster-Carr and do it the right way. 4 awg will have too much voltage loss over that distance, and audio cable probably isn't heavy duty enough for that amperage draw. You'll want a good ground in the trunk for the battery, and it would probably be a good idea to upgrade the ground and power wire sizes in the engine bay as well. Between 4 and 8 awg should be fine for the rest of that.

KillNThrill24
03-06-2012, 08:38 PM
thanks guys i had a feeling that the car audio wire was going to be less power than real wire. ill probably do a 1g since 0 is just enormous. the tiny wires must be better for flexibility im guessing? although my old man made a 2 pairs of jumper cables using welding cable and its 0g but you could jump rope with it or tie knots in it.

the ground for the battery.. i know with amps you dont want any longer than 3 feet for a proper ground. is that the same for a battery or does it not really matter? im not aware of a very solid ground in the trunk for the battery and might drill a hole (carefully) in the bottom of the trunk and connect it directly to the frame. unless you guys know of a good spot in the trunk?

thanks tho guys, and Nick i know what you mean i tend to do things wrong the first time all the time lol

AleroB888
03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
FTR, (doing some quick scribblin' down)

The difference in voltage drop of 10 feet of cable between 2 AWG and 4 AWG @ 1000 Amps is (-0.29) volts.

Difference in resistance is 0.0289 Ohms per 1000 ft.

An extra 10 feet of 4 AWG cable would drop 0.49 volts @ 1000 A.

I have never had an issue starting the car using a stock size cable routed from the trunk. Of course, it's rarely seen sub-zero weather over the years, either :)

Starglow
03-07-2012, 04:54 AM
If you do this wrong, your car may start having computer and/or other serious electrical issues or even worst case scenario...catch on fire. These cars don't have the best electrical system design to begin with, so proceed with caution.

AaronGTR
03-07-2012, 05:17 AM
the ground for the battery.. i know with amps you dont want any longer than 3 feet for a proper ground. is that the same for a battery or does it not really matter? im not aware of a very solid ground in the trunk for the battery and might drill a hole (carefully) in the bottom of the trunk and connect it directly to the frame. unless you guys know of a good spot in the trunk?

ol

That's what I did with mine. Pull back the carpet on the side and look behind it. IIRC there is a flange of two sheets of sheet metal spot welded together along the back of the wheel well, where they joined the two halves. I drilled a hole through this and sanded down to bare metal around the hole for a contact point, then bolted the lug for my ground cable to that. Might want to use a little dielectric grease on those contact points to keep the metal from rusting as well.

rocketfast123
03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
old man made a 2 pairs of jumper cables using welding cable and its 0g but you could jump rope with it or tie knots in it.

welding cable is the best