MAF Sensor is a pain in the ****. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor is a pain in the ****.

zukiracer19
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
My old one took a crap... constantly idles up and down like vaccum, check engine light is on for it... so while i was at junkyard trying to find a fender and bumper... I grabbed 2 MAF sensors out of an 00 se and a 03 se.

Cleaned them with MAF cleaner... let them sit... put them in and neither one lets my car run... hesitates and jerks when accelerating.

Did I just get 2 faulty MAFs or is something else the issue here?

GrandAmMe
03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Why'd you bother cleaning them? You might of ruined them just by doing that.

HOYS
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
My old one took a crap... constantly idles up and down like vaccum, check engine light is on for it... so while i was at junkyard trying to find a fender and bumper... I grabbed 2 MAF sensors out of an 00 se and a 03 se.

Cleaned them with MAF cleaner... let them sit... put them in and neither one lets my car run... hesitates and jerks when accelerating.

Did I just get 2 faulty MAFs or is something else the issue here?

Any DTCs?

There might be another part of the closed loop system that is malfunctioning.

sleepyalero
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Why'd you bother cleaning them? You might of ruined them just by doing that.

he can easily clean the maf, only way he could have messed it up is the little prongs in the center if he hit em to hard or something.

KillNThrill24
03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
sounds like you got something else going on. its possible but highly unlikely that you would pick up not just one but 2 faulty MAF's. you may also have a shorted wire somewhere leading to your MAF causing it to not function properly you should make sure every wire is connected

AaronGTR
03-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Actually, I think it's quite possible you could have picked up too bad MAF's. If they sit out in the weather unprotected for a long time and the car hasn't been run in a long time, the electronics in them can get ruined. You could try checking on ebay as well. I've seen quite a few for sale on there for cheap. Just keep an eye out for more really old ones. I've seen them where the aluminum screen is GREEN from corrosion. Sure sign to stay away from those!

zukiracer19
03-07-2012, 06:53 AM
It's retarded, my maf i had on it was working till AFTER I got my car inspected, then threw a code with my cam sensor ... i replaced cam sensor before the maf sensor went... then both came back up -_-.... i hate this car with a passion. I'll try cleaning all 3 and letting them sit for awhile and swap all them in and see if anything changes.

zukiracer19
03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
i put a warm air intake i just made on, put another maf in... i hit the throttle and it has delay... but if i put my stock box on it doesn't do it... and id say its about 6-7 inches from maf(the filter)

PSKpsu
03-07-2012, 02:51 PM
You have to use a special cleaner with the MAF.
I would check the connector that goes to the MAF. my MAF was throwing a DTC and made it look like a bad MAF. What actually happened was that the signal and power wires were loose in the connector. so i would check to see if your getting the 5v power from the pcm and the ground.

zukiracer19
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I bought the special cleaner for it already. It seems to be running a hell of a lot better but CE light still on.

Malaclypse
03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
i put a warm air intake i just made on, put another maf in... i hit the throttle and it has delay... but if i put my stock box on it doesn't do it... and id say its about 6-7 inches from maf(the filter)

Sounds like you may be on to something.

Also, if you installed the intake with an oiled air filter that may be exacerbating the problem.

zukiracer19
03-08-2012, 08:30 AM
???????? its an old K & N i got with my cold air intake back in the day... i just have a slight bend pipe and added a coupling and wallah home made lol.

But my torque converter is screaming to get replaced... started clicking really loud yesterday.. ill prolly drive it to trans shop tonight. can a bad torque converter destroy a entire transmission?

HOYS
03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
???????? its an old K & N i got with my cold air intake back in the day... i just have a slight bend pipe and added a coupling and wallah home made lol.

But my torque converter is screaming to get replaced... started clicking really loud yesterday.. ill prolly drive it to trans shop tonight. can a bad torque converter destroy a entire transmission?

Yes. If it has parts physically breaking inside of the TC then all that junk might get circulated into the transmission.

zukiracer19
03-08-2012, 02:39 PM
yea i noticed if i put it in drive it SLAMS in... could be because valve body has so much **** in it... Anyone know where i can order a certified transmission with a long warranty?

AaronGTR
03-08-2012, 04:55 PM
It will also slam into drive if you are having MAF sensor problems though. That was the problem all the people with the original RSM S/C kit had. It deleted the MAF, and the PCM uses the MAF signal as part of the equation for determining engine load and require line pressure for transmission shifting. No MAF signal = hard shifts and transmission damage.

KillNThrill24
03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
It will also slam into drive if you are having MAF sensor problems though. That was the problem all the people with the original RSM S/C kit had. It deleted the MAF, and the PCM uses the MAF signal as part of the equation for determining engine load and require line pressure for transmission shifting. No MAF signal = hard shifts and transmission damage.

really? would that be the same for most vehicles? my mom has an 05 explorer that, same thing, you shift into drive and it slams hard. its been slamming so long tho that im thinking tranny is done for. thats 2 bad trannys in the driveway, cuz it seems with each passing day my GT's tranny is getting worse. today it wouldnt shift into drive right away, it waited till it was good and ready. so i too would be interested in knowing of any warranted transmissions

afterdeath07
03-08-2012, 11:08 PM
jasper trannys have a 3 year 100k warranty on them, but the work has to be done by a jasper installer i believe, could be mistaken.

edit: link to their warranty web page here (http://webapp.jasperengines.com/docmantreeview/warranty.asp)

zukiracer19
03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Anyone have the wiring diagram for the MAF sensor?

AaronGTR
03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
really? would that be the same for most vehicles? my mom has an 05 explorer that, same thing, you shift into drive and it slams hard. its been slamming so long tho that im thinking tranny is done for. thats 2 bad trannys in the driveway, cuz it seems with each passing day my GT's tranny is getting worse. today it wouldnt shift into drive right away, it waited till it was good and ready. so i too would be interested in knowing of any warranted transmissions

It depends on the car and the computer programming, and how it uses various sensors. Some cars don't even have MAF sensors to begin with. Some don't have MAP sensors. Some have both (like ours) but use them in different ways.

I'm just stating what I know from what I've read in the service manual, on the tuning forum, and what I've personally observed with this car. My guess would be that many GM cars from the late 90's through early 2000's will use similar control systems, but there is no guarantee. Cars from other manufacturers may be totally different.

zukiracer19
03-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm just curious if my wiring is off.... or something along those lines... I soldered the wires color to color & heat shrinked / taped them off... They should be getting a good connection.

MMGT1
03-11-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm just curious if my wiring is off.... or something along those lines... I soldered the wires color to color & heat shrinked / taped them off... They should be getting a good connection.

Might want to undo that. Two sensors you should not use solder on are the MAF and O2, it skews the voltage output making it read a different part of the scale for both. Pink butt connectors that have built in heat shrink, try that and see if it helps

zukiracer19
03-11-2012, 10:23 AM
You know I didn't even think about that... I'll try it.

PSKpsu
03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Yah the MAF like most sensors on most cars use a 5v power wire, a signal wire, and a PCM ground wire. I had the dealer replace the connector and some of the wiring on the MAF and it doesn't even looked like they soldered.

MMGT1
03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
If you buy the connector from GM you get it with about 1' of wire and three butt conectors that you heat shrink after. Same goes for universal O2 sensors. The universal o2's usually have a note in the box as well telling you to not solder the connection, butt connectors only.
When replacing that connector, any connector really, use as much of the supplied wire as you can. You'd be surprised how far up the wire it can break or corrode.