Headlight issue... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headlight issue...

KillNThrill24
03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok Im putting door speakers in my GT and I turned the key to acc to make sure the amp turns on and the speakers work and the fruckin headlights turn on for no apparent reason and won't turn off... Their HID's. Wdf is going on lol?

street_fire
03-09-2012, 07:10 PM
true the key off maybe lol sorry thats all i got :D

KillNThrill24
03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah did that lol idk what the hell.. Good thing I don't hav to leave my house tomorrow... I tried my regular bulbs since iv been having HID issues. I'm stumped.

afterdeath07
03-09-2012, 08:22 PM
anything covering the sensor in the dash for the automatic headlights. never heard of it happening but it could have failed.

KillNThrill24
03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
well i just got done installing my system, i unplugged the headlights completely so they didnt kill anything. and then went fishing around for a source of the problem. my old man said that i may hav a short somewhere causing power to constantly be running to the headlights. didnt make any sense since i hadnt been messing with anything except in my door panels but i figured he knows more than i do so my buddy wiggled some wires here and there while i held the bulb, and we couldnt find anything wrong. finally i decided to check the fuses under the hood and while reading the list of fuses on the box i saw auto headlight fuse or something like that and it clicked.. i hav my daytime running lights disabled. i disabled them via the BCM and i remembered that my ground was dangling a slight amount, enough to get caught on someones foot and my buddy had been sitting in the passenger seat while i was working on the driver side door panel. so he was on that side and i the driver and i held a flashlight under the dash (we were in my garage which barely has enough room to work on it, and its a 2 car) and had him check to make sure the wire was still grounded and attached to the BCM. and through some odd miracle, while wiggling that wire around the headlights shut off. i have no idea if that was the problem or not but we checked the headlights many times afterwards by turning on the car etc etc etc and no problems now. so im guessing i figured it out lol

btw where is that sensor any idea? i would love to completely disable my auto headlights if possible, i really dont like how the HID's flicker when they turn on with the car at night.

afterdeath07
03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
its in the center defroster vent in the middle of the dash on the driver side i wanna say, it looks like a little camera bulb. omh meter and a resistor would prolly let you make the bcm think its always sunny.

KillNThrill24
03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
your right that may work, i should look into that. but when the parking brake is engaged, prior to the car being started, then when you start the car they dont turn on, at night of course since my DRL are thankfully disabled. im wondering if i can tap into the ebrake somewhere and make the car think the ebrake is on all the time. i guess it would prob be the same as your idea tho lol ill have to dig deeper see what i can find

KillNThrill24
03-09-2012, 09:47 PM
ha either you read the posting from 06 or you are just smart. because i found a posting saying to remove that ambient light sensor you were talking about and put a 10ohm resistor in its place. now where would i find a 10ohm resistor? home depot?

KillNThrill24
03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
i found a better one i might try first sounds about ten times easier IMO
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17559

afterdeath07
03-09-2012, 10:40 PM
ha either you read the posting from 06 or you are just smart. because i found a posting saying to remove that ambient light sensor you were talking about and put a 10ohm resistor in its place. now where would i find a 10ohm resistor? home depot?

radio shack if you have one around you, i think that would be the easist way, i did the IAT sensor bypass with a resistor in my first ga, figured the same idea would work there to. looks like it does :) cheers

afterdeath07
03-09-2012, 10:44 PM

chopping up the harness always makes me feel light headed but its your car :)

street_fire
03-10-2012, 12:42 AM

i did this and it only took me 10mins to do everything. Super easy.

KillNThrill24
03-10-2012, 05:59 PM
chopping up the harness always makes me feel light headed but its your car :)

ah should something go wrong i can just strip and reconnect lol iv never been afraid to go hacking on wire harnesses. im for the most part fairly good at electrical, on things such as cutting and reconnecting and just general re routing of any sort of wires. the one thing im not good at is adding things such as resistors ha.

i did this and it only took me 10mins to do everything. Super easy.

yeah im about to go out and do it right now. i just spent the last almost 2 hours taping up every single connection on my HID ballasts and bulbs.. there was corrosion on some of them so i had to clean them and make dam sure it doesnt happen again. im getting tired of these cheapo HID's next time im buying a better set. i just hope that by disabling my auto lights i can save them from any further damage

markmac
03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
your right that may work, i should look into that. but when the parking brake is engaged, prior to the car being started, then when you start the car they dont turn on, at night of course since my DRL are thankfully disabled. im wondering if i can tap into the ebrake somewhere and make the car think the ebrake is on all the time. i guess it would prob be the same as your idea tho lol ill have to dig deeper see what i can find

I would imagine that if you wired it up to make the car think the ebrake is on all the time, every time you move the car an inch, the chime would go off like mad.

street_fire
03-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I would imagine that if you wired it up to make the car think the ebrake is on all the time, every time you move the car an inch, the chime would go off like mad.

If this u wire it up to the ebrake the lights won't on at all inless u turned the lights on urself. Disabling DLR's is the best I think.

KillNThrill24
03-10-2012, 09:03 PM
i disabled my DRL's already, and just got back from gettin the GT washed and got some starbucks energy coffee ha. i was testing to see how the disabled ALC works and im happy to say that i can drive around with no lights in pitch black darkness should i feel the need to. it especially helps when i pull in at night and my HID's always shined like spotlights through my house. the bypass on the BCM worked like a charm and took me 2mins to do up. only thing i dislike about the whole thing is when i switch the lights from off to parking my headunit re reads my iphone and acts like i just plugged it in. then same thing from parking lights to driving lights. no biggie IMO but just thought id share that little tid bit incase anyone else feels they want to do the same.

KillNThrill24
03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
lol it threw on the svs light now. well im assuming its because of that since the svs light never came on before. weathers supposed to be nice this week so im driving the camaro this week so the GT's in storage right now meaning i wont look into it for awhile, but i find it strange how the DRL didnt throw a code but the ALC did..