aftermarket stereo tripping passlock? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket stereo tripping passlock?

sinn24
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
So I installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2003 grand am gt to replace the monsoon HU about 4 years ago. It worked great with an adapter I found at wal-mart so I didn't have to bypass the amp. All was well until one day the thing wouldn't crank and the security light was illuminated.

Now this was before I had a smartphone on my person at all times and had no idea what to do so i towed the car and GM reset the passlock. They informed me it was because of my aftermarket HU. I found out if I just disconnect the HU the next time it happens it will start just fine and the issue won't occur for another few months. But after 4-5 occurrences I decided to replace it with the stock monsoon HU and the issue hasn't reoccurred since.

Now my rear speakers recently blew out and I am not interested in having to find those damned ACDelco 22698418 speakers. I want to bypass the amp as per jperryss's tutorial (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69082) and re-install my aftermarket HU.

My question is will this (http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/) yellow-black 2200ohm resistor trick cure my passlock issues with the aftermarket HU? If not what other options should I consider?

Thanks

rocketfast123
03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
The radio has nothing to do with passlock. And you don't have to bypass the amp. My alero has some cheap flea market kenwoods with the low side connected. And I also has an aftermarket radio.

sinn24
03-12-2012, 08:02 AM
So if the stereo can't set off the passlock, why would a typical passlock symptom (no crank, security light) be fixed by unplugging the harness to the HU? Something to do with the door chime maybe?

Also I'm not a big bass guy. I don't really want to wire in non-DVC speakers to the amp.

rocketfast123
03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Bad key switch, nothing with the door chimes either. The fix is to leave the car on "run" for 15mins.

When i got my car i did not know it was wired like that, and it sounds good to me.