Snapped Rocker Bolt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Snapped Rocker Bolt

Brad Farmer
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I just snapped off a rocker bolt in the head. Any suggestions other than replace head?

KillNThrill24
03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
drill it out and use a..... its like a screw that you screw into the drilled out bolt and use that to twist the bolt out of the hole. should that fail a tap and dye set may be your best friend. i had exhaust manifold bolts snapped off in my head somehow.. 3 of them. and my old man and i drilled a hole in the snapped off bolts (not the size of the bolt either, smaller) and used that tool to remove it. i hav no idea what the hell its called tho the name is on the tip of my tongue.. maybe someone else will chime in with the name

KillNThrill24
03-11-2012, 10:25 PM
EASY OUTS! i remember now lol find some. or left handed drill bits. its really not hard i promise you

Starglow
03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
EASY OUTS! i remember now lol find some. or left handed drill bits. its really not hard i promise you

I agree with using left handed drill bits. Drill S-L-O-W-L-Y and as straight and centered in the bolt as possible. Patience is the key especially if you've never done this before.

If you try to rush the process things will quickly go very wrong and possibly lead to bigger problems. Take all measures necessary to keep the metal shavings from falling into the engine. I found that drilling slow with a drop of oil helps the bit cut better and also helps contain the metal shavings.

Plan "B" would be to just pull the head off and take it to a properly equipped and experienced machine shop for repair.

Good Luck.....!

KillNThrill24
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
yes agreed i failed to mention do NOT rush the process it does take time and effort and sometimes a little luck..