Rusted Jack Point Options [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rusted Jack Point Options

landa220
03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi All,

Recently when rotating tires I found my rear jack points to be rusted out and not safe. As I started lifting the drivers side, the jack point started creaking and crumbling, I lowered it quickly before it (seemingly) collapsed into the floor board. I resorted to lifting it with a broad piece of wood on a floor jack.

The problem I'm concerned with is if I have a flat tire and have to somehow change the tire with the provided jack, I'll have a disaster on my hands.

Are there any other lift points, that can be used or improvised with while using the scissor jack? Or what options do I now have with changing a tire now that the lift points are not safe?

Thanks everyone for whatever suggestions you have.

AaronGTR
03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
No idea. I've never even used the scissor jack on my car. I only lift it with a floor jack at either end in the center of the front or rear sub-frames.

KillNThrill24
03-13-2012, 08:57 PM
yeah i dont use them either. i dont really trust them we lifted my lady friends car with one when her tire went flat on the interstate and the jack just seemed so unstable. honestly if its not a big deal for you id pick up one of those $20 jacks from autozone and keep it in your trunk incase something should happen. i personally dont even carry a spare tire in either of my cars ha... but if i did i would have one of those jacks in my trunk. then you can lift it from the front or rear subframes like Aaron said.