rack and pinion or power steering hoses [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rack and pinion or power steering hoses

cher6714
03-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Ok, I am new to this forum and was trying to read some of the old posts, but they are not helping me much. I just bought a 99 grand am gt. The guy that I bought it from said the power steering went out and he thought it was the pump, so he put a new one on it. not fixed though, if you put power steering fluid in it, it leaks out, the hose up top is not wet though. could it be leaking from an underneath hose or do you think it is the rack and pinion??? I kind of want some opinions before I take this in on Monday. Also, if you believe that it is the rack, what does a shop normally charge for this to be fixed? All opinions valued. Thanks

unchained_01
03-17-2012, 08:31 AM
It is probably the high pressure line from the pump to the rack , the other line is a return line back to the tank Did you look underneath or put cardboard under the car to find where its leaking ? Rack replacement is a PITA but not impossible the only leak at the fittings and the seals on the ends of the shafts I would really look and see it could be a simlpe fix and not cost you $500+ for repair I dont want to see you getting ripped off

AaronGTR
03-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Uh, it's impossible for us to tell where it is leaking from without seeing the car in person. If the fluid is leaking out, there should be a puddle under the car. Get a jack and a flashlight, and get under the car and look for where the fluid is dripping from.

cher6714
03-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Never thought of one of those manuals have a diagram of what I am looking at, Thanks for both of your help, I will get one of those and check it out.