New to Site Could use some help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New to Site Could use some help

MECHANICwannaBE
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Hello.
My name is Ed i have a 2000 pontiac grand am se coupe 2.4 4cly twin cam.
I Love the pontiacs but as for my old gm car it kind of scares me i had a 2003 chevy impala 3.4 v6 had great power but keep in mind broke the intake manifold and a month later broke the head gasket car sucks working on it slowly so i took a ponitac in mind. I have not been having any issues so far with the car BESIDES.... when i drive i get a humming noise from the front. I got advice it could be ball joints could be tire rods could be cv joint could be this and that. Would any one be able to give me some more advice that would actually know the issue?
Thanks
-ED

Bastich
04-01-2012, 01:29 AM
That would be tough for anyone to diagnose without actually hearing it. But I can tell you that when I had humming noise on mine, it turned out to be wheel bearings.

Hope this helps!
B)

sleepyalero
04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
yeah, most likely a wheel hub in the front. its like 40-60 at a parts store and for me.. takes about 10 mins to replace. pretty simple.

good thing you posted on here, cause you might have wasted money on a ball joint that didnt need replaced.

if it does turn out to be a ball joint (doubt it)... ill be suprised.

locoman99
04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
There is an oldschool easy test to diagnose a wheel bearing...find a good open road..the smoothest road is best no traffic around. At a good speed say more than 55 listen closely to the sound....swerve smoothly but quickly to the left(no need to jerk the wheel) does the sound change when the car transfers its weight to the right side of the car? If the sound gets quieter going left it means ur left hub is bad and converse. The bad hub may get louder when it goes under the extra load, but will always get quieter when unloaded. Works every time. And when you replace always use Timken bearings. Around a 100 bucks each and will pay for themselves. Wheel bearings may be the most important componant on a car, it is foolish to use a less than oemspec part! Chinese bearings can fail at as little 15000miles with no warning..timkens never fail

MECHANICwannaBE
04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Yea i just bought these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/310390897167?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Will get these tomorrow in the mail... As for doing this job in ten mins.. god dam ur good. lol i asked and i heard about 2 hrs labor.

locoman99
04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Hes not that fast...should take 2 to 3 hours to do both...be careful, there are wheel speed sensors built into the hub assmbly, the wires and clip that hold them are easy to damage or bend/brake. Wish you got gm parts or timkins, but at least you will have practice.changing them when the go out again. Remember, u get what you pay for

sleepyalero
04-02-2012, 11:13 PM
okay maybe not 10 mins, but it doesnt take no 2-3 hours. id honestly say 20-30 mins to change one out for me.

pull off the wheel, un bolt caliper, take off rotor, turn the wheel, remove two bolts, turn the wheel the opposite way, pull off the last bolt, unplug abs sensor, remove bolt on the front, slide hub off, put new one on, reassemble.

locoman99
04-03-2012, 01:07 AM
90 minutes to 2 hours per axle done CORRECTLY...

burgett2103
04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
or maybe he's just good at what he does and doesn't take 2 hours to get it done

locoman99
04-03-2012, 04:10 PM
The guy was wanting to know how long it should take HIM to change the hubs. Assuming he is using hand tools and must mount his spare to break the axle nut loose, along with due cleanliness and inspections 90 to 120 minutes is expected for his first time. I have no idea what the book says for time. Im not going to get in a pissin contest over it, but he not only missed several steps in his breakdown, he doesnt mention any cleaning , inspection or following any torque procedures. Probably a good thing he hired professionals to do his trans....jp

sleepyalero
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
The guy was wanting to know how long it should take HIM to change the hubs. Assuming he is using hand tools and must mount his spare to break the axle nut loose, along with due cleanliness and inspections 90 to 120 minutes is expected for his first time. I have no idea what the book says for time. Im not going to get in a pissin contest over it, but he not only missed several steps in his breakdown, he doesnt mention any cleaning , inspection or following any torque procedures. Probably a good thing he hired professionals to do his trans....jp

okay i agree with him doing it his first time yes, but the rest i disagree. but im not calling you out or going to pick a fight. thats not why i signed up to be on this site for, and i dont want to fill the OP's thread with garbage that has nothing to do with his problems lol but no. basically everything was going to work out better if i just had milzy do it instead of me just cause of how things are here at home. i have all the tools to do it, but he said it would take a week to do so i went for it. cause me it would take probably just a bit longer. especially cause milzy would have more time then me (job and other things that pop up before i could work on it) and only maybe get a couple hours on it on some days..

i also got from Milzy a cat-less down pipe, EGR delete, Modified heater tube, allen header bolts, and of course the 6 speed with a stage 2 cltuch. only down side to the swap is im most likely going back to stock manifolds.... ;crap

sorry if i made you mad or anything. i might of seemed like a rooster but i didnt really mean to come off as one. lol

locoman99
04-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Dude its cool, jp meant just playin....hell if i wasnt so anal about my car...and cheap..i would be more than happy to pay someone else work on my stuff. Way back when i worked on cars for a living i hated to even pop the hood of my own car. Now that im messin with locomotives its better...but there are many weekends the last thing i wanna do is get my hands dirty..lol

sleepyalero
04-04-2012, 01:28 AM
i know lol... and yeah im anal too... i dont like finger prints on my car if that tells you anything... hahaha. and usually if i dont have time to fix my car myself sometimes i only take it to the dealer to be fixed. i dont trust anyone else really... they might charge 2-3x more but i know ill be taking it there once and wont be coming back. and the dealer i always goes to takes real good care of the car.

MECHANICwannaBE
04-04-2012, 06:44 AM
I wish i had the money to let my dealer repair my car lol but i just got a nice speeding ticket as for my cobra was not on and well im looking at a nice head gasket cost for this nice ticket lol