Electrical short with rpms increased [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical short with rpms increased

Bawb
03-28-2012, 05:57 AM
I have a 2000 grand am se with 3.4L v6. When driving and the engine gets over 2400 rpms everything dims out. When is in park it's about 2800-3000 rpms before it dims out. Not sure but it seems like a short to me. Is it possible that a faulty alternator would cause this? What should I test or have tested to see what it is? I'm not sure on how old the alternator is.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bawb

Starglow
03-28-2012, 07:28 AM
The first thing I would check is the battery cable connections to make sure they are clean and making good contact. You might even have to tear into the plastic covering on the battery cables to look for internal corrosion. GA's do strange things when the battery connections are not good.

The next step after that is to test the alternator and charging systems.

Bawb
03-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. I claned battery cables and still had same problem. So I got out the tester and when the alternator reached 14.47 volts it would cut out. But the it just stopped charging all together. Took the alternator off and I'm having it rebuilt today. Thanks again.

UndeadGods
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Id check your ground from the battery, it might be corroded/loose

Also, do you have anything else connected to your positive terminal, lights, amp, etc?