Running rough [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Running rough

Jordan
03-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi, I have a 1999 3.4 GT and I'm kind of wondering what my problem is with my car. Usually when I start it, it will rev up and down a few hundred rpms and after a minute be normal. (Does that have something to do with that notorious ticking when cold?) Sometimes it starts perfectly fine.
But I also have the problem where it doesn't want to stay running. Sometimes when starting, it'll turn over, but run for only a second and shut off. The only way to go is to keep revving it and shift it into drive before it quits. Once I shift, it runs fine. If I rev it a bit and dont shift, it will increase and decrease rpms greatly and possibly settle, or usually die. This sometimes happens after just sitting, but always after I put any amount of gas in the car.
What's up?

blckgagt
03-30-2012, 08:56 AM
A bad O2 sensor can cause most of what you described above. Is your ses light on? If yes, then you need to find out what codes are setting it off by going to autozone, or advance, etc and have them tell you the codes unless you have access to a code reader personally. Once you find out the codes, report back.

UndeadGods
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah, sounds like a faulty sensor. It would most likely pull a "check engine" light