I Smell Dex Cool !HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I Smell Dex Cool !HELP!

MECHANICwannaBE
03-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Hello.
I am smelling dex cool once and while from my car i noticed that about once a month i will have to top off my antifreeze rez tank..... I have no visual leaks..... I cant seem to find any wet hoses..... Any ideas.... it would be awesome!
Thanks

afterdeath07
03-30-2012, 10:43 AM
heater core may be leaking. that would be my bet if you can smell it

sugar ray
04-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Bad heater core as mention a possibility. usually a bad core will also cause your windshield to FOG when using the heater. Perhaps a head gasket or even the infamous LIM gasket. If its a 3.4 and you have never had your LIM gasket changed out, look into it!! NOT extremely hard job if you have mechanical skills.

MECHANICwannaBE
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
i have a 2.4 twim cam.. quad 4
But i had a new jasper engine put in professionaly so do you really consider the head gasket?

sugar ray
04-06-2012, 01:28 AM
For a QUAD 4!! Oh ya!! I had a 89 Olds Cutlas Calais with a Quad 4. Those motors had lots of potential but seemed to have costed a small fortune to rebuild. Parts were considered "high performance"

Anyways.....Quad 4's were notorious for head gaskets. Whats worse.....is they suck to change dealing with the dual overhead cams. I knew my gasket had gone on my Quad after pulling the dipstick and discovering the "chocolate milk" oil. Compression test may be your best bet. Some head gaskets are harder to identify and others are obvious