high coolant temp? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : high coolant temp?

greygoose08
03-30-2012, 05:54 PM
car runs down the highway at a little over 200 degrees F. if it sits long at a light or anywhere it will jump up to like 225 maybe a little more. what is this an indicator of? headgasket???

chris_gt_74
03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm sure that is normal. Around 200 is normal stock thermostat temp. If it's heating up way fast check your coolant level and be sure it's pretty much 50/50 mix. Other than that you could see if it has air in it somewhere by bleeding the system.

AaronGTR
03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
That is an indicator of.... nothing. That is normal. The temp will go up a little when there isn't air flow through the radiator. Normal temps are anywhere from 195-230 degrees. The low speed fans don't even kick on until around there.

Mike Jung
03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
You might want to get that checked out.

It isn't even hot/summer yet; & you're hitting those temps in WI already when it is so cool outside.

It shouldn't heat up / jump up that fast in temp just wanting for a stop light.

sleepyalero
03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
mine does in the summer.

UndeadGods
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I had A LOT of problems with my GAGT overheating.

Check your coolant level, top it up, make sure you keep it around 50/50 or 60(coolant)/40.
Then bleed the system for air. Theres an air vent on the left side of the engine, its small, all you have to do is run the car n open that vent, n watch the air flow out.

It's NORMAL for our cars to heat up a little over half, if it REALLY botheres you and worries you (assuming that the coolant level is fine, and that there are no air bubbles in the coolant), then replace your thermostat for the one that opens a lil sooner than the stock one does.

I understand your worry, as my car has overheated 5 or so times, blew a head gasket the first day I got my car. It left me stranded on the side of the road plenty of times, I even had to run to work in the middle of the freezing winter cuz my car overheated halfway there... go figure =/ lol

HOYS
04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Note on bleeding the car: Make sure the engine is up to operating temp (175-195*F) so the thermostat is open and letting water flow through the whole system...then bleed the car.

UndeadGods
04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Note on bleeding the car: Make sure the engine is up to operating temp (175-195*F) so the thermostat is open and letting water flow through the whole system...then bleed the car.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that!