Borla VS PaceSetter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Borla VS PaceSetter

UndeadGods
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I wanna make my car faster, factory stuff is just embarrassingly slow.
After reading this post http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71671 it left me clueless as to which exhaust to get..

Borla is more expensive ($715.95), quieter, also Intermediate Pipe Diameter is 2.250 in. and Tailpipe Diameter 2.000 in.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-14821/

Where's PaceSetter is $376.39, louder, a lot uglier cuz its black with shiny silver tips, but the Intermediate Pipe Diameter is 2.5in, and Tailpipe Diameter is 2.5in
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-88-1474/

Now, I'm more leaning towards borla, as its more durable, more well known, and it sounds a lot better in my opinion, but it's so much more money.

What do you guys think?

Also, QTEC, is it a waste of money?
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN5002/GAEXH/Quick+Time+Electric+Exhaust+Cutout.html

KennyP.
04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Just take it to an exhaust shop and have them build you a catback. Its wayy cheaper and wayyy more beneficial than buying a kit. You can even use a Borla exhaust if you want. I went with flowmaster. It sounds a lot deeper and louder. Gained decent horsepower from the 2.5" pipes and whatnot for better flow.

KennyP.
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
If you want the Borla sound however. Just do 2.5" pipes, catback, and Magnaflow exhaust. It sounds pretty close to the borla, pretty quiet but louder than stock

G.I.Ceo
04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't go with paceshi**er stuff to save my life. I had it on my DD and had to have it repaired twice and on the third time I tore it off my car and went with a Magnaflow catback exhaust. I actually tore the exhaust off by hand because thats how cheap that stuff is.

The Borla is a very nice exhaust and it will last you a very long time plus it will sound nice. What I would do if I was you is look into having a system built for you with 2.5" piping and either a SLP muffler or a Flowmaster 80 installed. I had mine built for a really good price and I am using a SLP on mine with no resonator.

As far as the QTEC goes that's kind of up to you. You wont get any gains out of it unless you have the mods to support it. I really wouldn't use one of these unless your boosted or have a very well built up motor. But if you plan on doing stuff down the road then it doesn't hurt to have it installed while your exhaust is going in.

KennyP.
04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
What does the QTEC do exactly? I've never really looked into it and am not as knowledgeable with automotive stuff as i would like.

UndeadGods
04-02-2012, 04:21 PM
What does the QTEC do exactly? I've never really looked into it and am not as knowledgeable with automotive stuff as i would like.

Im not sure but I think that it regulates between allowing the exhaust to be loud or quiet.
"You control the volume, you control the power. Open your exhaust with the flip of a switch. Run it closed, run it all the way open or any position in between. Adjust your back pressure to save gas"

UndeadGods
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Whats the stock exhaust? 2.0 Inches or less?

KennyP.
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
2" - 2.25" Somewhere around there

If you're gonna do the exhaust definitely go 2.5+ but i wouldn't recommend 3"
Even some higher output vehicles have problems with the 3" just because there isn't enough back-pressure, causing the car to stall.

and Magnaflow = Quiet, Deep
Flowmaster = Loud, deep-ER, throaty and can be raspy in some cases.
SLP is a great middle ground
Borla just kinda sounds like the Magnaflow, maybe a little throatier when on the gas.

Thats information i was really looking for when picking a muffler. The Flowmaster and Magnaflow are very close in price. And as for flowmaster, i recommend the 80s not the 40s. I only like 40s when its a y-pipe out to 2 mufflers.

MAC the KNIFE
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
stock exhaust is 2.25
i've had the borla for a long time, it still sounds appealing to me. the other one sounds nice, but not to live with IMO.
i put an electric cut out behind the resonator on my borla, push a button and instantly wayyy louder, but without that raspy noise that most ricers have.
if i put the cut out infront of the resonator, it would be even louder, but mostly the noise frequency would just be the high raspy unsexy ricer noise.

KennyP.
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
haha. Yeah, i am an american muscle man myself. I wound up putting a glasspack on my exhaust which cut out ALL of the raspiness but kept it just as loud and deep. 14" resonator i think?

AaronGTR
04-03-2012, 08:05 AM

It's just a Y-pipe with an electrically controlled flap on one outlet that lets you bypass the exhaust when you open it. You can put it anywhere in the exhaust you want. It basically makes the car louder. It will make a little more power when it's open, but not much on a mostly stock car. Like less than 2hp. For example, the more power you make the more the power difference will be between open and closed. I have a cutout right before my cat at the header outlet so that it bypasses the entire exhaust. My exhaust consists of a high flow cat, resonator, and 2.5" SLP cat-back. The difference between that and open cut out was only 3hp on the dyno on a 320 wheel hp pull. On a mostly stock car with less than 200hp, it will mostly be just for making noise. ;)