Factory Alarm problem please help!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Factory Alarm problem please help!!

smokeeater172
04-03-2012, 02:18 PM
This isn't actually my first post but its been a while since I gave the car to my wife, I cant remember my old password.

anyway,
2000 Grand am GT... she took the car out shopping today, came back to the car and the remote wasn't working. she opened the door manually and the alarm went off and wouldnt let her start the car. I am stuck at work so it is difficult to troubleshoot without being there but she said disconnecting and reconnecting the battery didnt help. The remote seems as though the battery has been dying the past few months so she ran back in and bought a new battery, still didnt work. Does the remote need to be reprogrammed if it did die? Or is it something more serious...

On the phone with GM they just want to tow it and look at it but I dont want to waste the money if its an easy fix.

Anyone have any experience with this problem???
Thanks in advance!

UndeadGods
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Disconnect the battery for ten minuts, then reconnect it n see if it reset the system. Also change the battery in your keyless remote, if the alarm goes off, use the remote to shut it off by pressing the red button. Then try starting it again

smokeeater172
04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I wont be able to try these things until tomorrow since I am stuck at work... I did tell my wife to try disconnecting the battery, waiting and trying again and she said it didnt work. Also she did replace the remote battery with no luck, not sure which button she used.

smokeeater172
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
As of now the car is sitting overnight with the battery disconnected. When I get there in the morning I will see if that worked. If not I am going to try to re-program the remote. Next I will try leaving the keys to "on" for ten minutes.

Any other ideas?

Mike Jung
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
The GA didn't come with a factory installed alarm.

Does your alarm system have a valet mode?

Try pulling the fuse for your alarm system.

AaronGTR
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say.... there was never a factory alarm on the grand am.

smokeeater172
04-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Interesting to know.. I would have sworn it was factory. Does the factory anti-theft have a panic button? Sets the horn off. That's what is happening when she opens the door the horn keeps going off... maybe she hit the panic button and didn't realise it. I just got home so I should be heading to the car in about an hour, I'm hoping it's something stupid and I'll post back with my finding. If anyone has some more input though please chime in before I head out. I really hope I don't have to have the vehicle towed and pay to fix this.

smokeeater172
04-04-2012, 08:08 AM
UPDATE: I was making sure the battery to the remote was new before I left the house. When I opened the case I saw writing on the back that says "When changing battery, Hold Lock and Unlock Button for 7 seconds"
Got to the car, hooked up the battery, opened the door.... alarm went off. I put the key in the ignition and held the lock/unlock for 7 seconds and problem solved! Took me less than a minute. Glad it was something easy but annoyed that I got worked up about nothing!

Thanks again to all who responded.

UndeadGods
04-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Glad to hear that your baby is up n running. When you put the key in the ignition, did u have turn it over on "on" position or did you just leave it in?

AaronGTR
04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, there is a factory panic button, but no actual alarm. It's connected to the operation of the keyless entry remote, so if the battery was dying it may have just been setting off the horn or something stupid like that. Glad to hear you got it resolved. :)

smokeeater172
04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I left the key in, and held the Lock and Unlock... didn't turn it to on. Glad it was something so easy- when I was at work I started googling and reading about all the problems with the passlock system and of course you plan for the worst case scenario. As soon as I opened the remote and read the inside I kind of knew that would be the issue. Oh well, maybe it'll happen to someone else and they will come across this post and save them the worry!