Is Seaform really good for your Car? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is Seaform really good for your Car?

MECHANICwannaBE
04-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Just a curious question as for i heard a lot of people say it is and then some people that say hell no ..... Also use it vaccume hose? or fuel or oil.....

UndeadGods
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Carbon build up is bad, seafoam cleans it out, its good but not if you overuse it. I think that once a year is good enough

AaronGTR
04-04-2012, 05:28 PM
It's ok, but yeah... it doesn't need to be done often. Once a year is the most I'd use it. Carbon takes a long time to build up in the intake. Also I wouldn't add any to the oil. If you use good oil it's not necessary, and it may actually hurt the oils viscosity. Good oil will clean the engine on it's own. You could add it to the fuel tank to clean the fuel system, and it would clean the intake ports in conjunction with an application in the intake. You could use another fuel system cleaner too though. I like the Chevron with techron fuel system treatment myself. I used a bottle of that along with a full can of seafoam in the intake on my old car.

afterdeath07
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
ive used it in my oil for years about once ever 50k. just used it on my oil system after pulling the timing case, ran it with fresh oil and seafoam for about 15-20 min for no more than 5 min at a time. checking oil level often. then drained out and new oil was dark red/brown/black and the filter at 1700k was heavy like a rock. 3 days later new oil is crystal clear with a hint of amber. i wouldn't advise reving the engine or actually driving it tho. oil pressure stayed above 38psi at low idle cold/warm, not hot. but i wouldn't drive it. or do it often

MECHANICwannaBE
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
then why does everyone say vaccume hose??

afterdeath07
04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
vacuum is for cleaning out pcv oil and carbon deposits that build up in the intake and on the valves pistons and combustion chamber. doing that more than once every 20-30 k always seemed like waste takes awhile for carbon to build up.

sugar ray
04-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I have a 95 Mystique I drive in the winter as my 02 GA has never been winter driven since purchased new. Tried seafoam in my mystique beater this past winter. Once can is suppose to be used equally in 3 different places. intake, oil, and fuel tank.

You can also get the SPRAY can version of seafoam for your intake. Your suppose to spray it into the throttle body while lightly reving your engine. Just be for warned. If you use the vaccum line method or the spray version be prepared to smoke out your entire neighborhood!! No joke!! While seafom bakes off your intake it shoots out your tailpipe getting rid of all that carbon creating lots of white smoke in the process. Which.....they say is good because you know its doing its job.

Search some youtube videos and you'll see what I am talking about